1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

'65 Ford Galaxie 500 - 351W, EFI, eBay turbo

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Interstellar, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Interstellar

I'm nearing completion of my first turbo conversion in my 1965 Ford Galaxie 500. I was hoping to have it fired up this weekend, but Summit made a mistake and didn't ship my AN-4 line for the oil feed.

The motor is a 90s roller 351w from a van, Comp XE266HR cam, Blueprint Engines heads, "GT40" intake (upper from an Explorer, lower is an SVO/Lightning part), 40# injectors. Running on Megasquirt 3 now, but I am considering switching to a Haltech this coming year. I'm using the ubiquitous "eBay" GT45-clone, wastegate on the turbo housing, 4" dump to dual 3", the manifolds are from a hacked up eBay turbo kit for a Fox Mustang.

I'm running a stock short block, so I'm going to keep the boost low-ish. My motor is 350HP on paper, I'm going to target 500HP with boost. I think I have enough injector for around 600HP and enough fuel pump for 800HP - some room to grow if I don't put it into a wall right away.

I'll post more pictures later. Just don't look too closely at my welds, I'm not great with the TIG.

20201227_203337.jpg #ad

caleath, Disney Lincoln and Pro-SC like this.
  2. Russell

Cool build do you plan to take it to the track or dyno? Is the intercooler behind the radiator?

3. Interstellar

The radiator is not installed in this picture. I put the intercooler where the radiator was and moved the radiator back three inches. I need to finish some brackets before I put the radiator back in.

4. blue-boost

Those #40 injectors are going to be done well before you get to 500hp. Buy a genuine set of Siemens Deka 80's.

5. Interstellar

View attachment 783129 #ad

The Deatschwerks calculator says 500HP at 85% duty would take a 37# injector in a turbocharged application. Injectors are their business. Still, I do plan on putting in 80# dekas eventually. But for this first stage I think my 40# Accel injectors will be adequate. I'll just keep an eye on the duty cycle. I've had this engine/injector/efi setup in the car for a year, so I'm inclined to leave it configured as-is so that I'll only be troubleshooting my turbo setup.

nxcoupe likes this.
  6. Mnlx

It all depends on your bsfc. 500 at a bsfc of .6 requires 42 lb @ 90% dc. The same with a .65 bsfc requires 45 lber's. Either way you're close, and you can always up the base pressure a bit if needed.

7. blue-boost

Full boost, 6,000rpms, pump gas, and borderline injectors isn't a good spot to be. Especially when a set of more suitable injectors can be had for under $200. But that's just my opinion.

8. Interstellar

Where can you get legit dekas for $25 a piece?

9. Interstellar

This is the car. I picked it up as a "barn find" from a sketchy towing company. Originally would have had a 352ci big block, but came to me with a mid 70's 400ci and C6 swapped in. I think it was painted in the 90s, and there were problems with the 400ci engine so I think it was parked in the barn around 2000 and sat since then. I worked on the 400 a bit, but it just wasn't worth it. I had an extra EFI 5.0HO/GT40P setup, and AOD laying around so that went in and I drove it that way for the next year. Since it was set up for a small block now, and the engine bay is huge, a 351W swap was logical. I accidentally ruined my AOD, so a 4R70W went in at that time. I drove the car that way for another year. That brings us up to this winter - turbo time. A turbo was always the plan. I actually swapped to the 351W because I was worried the big cheap eBay turbo would have too much lag on the 5.0L.

20200115_103109.jpg #ad

20200116_155930.jpg #ad

nxcoupe and Disney Lincoln like this.
  10. Mnlx

You can't, at least not that I could verify. I researched the hell out of the cheap Dekas, and if they aint $300+ and have DEKA molded in the body, I wouldn't touch them. Some of the China crap works, and most doesn't. I'd much rather have a marginal "good" injector than a large "maybe works" injector. Just my 2 cents.

Interstellar likes this.
  11. blue-boost

Ls1tech classifieds has used genuine deka 80's frequently

12. B E N

Deka 80s aren't a great choice for a street car, they are tough to control at low rpm. They are designed for race applications where the engine is not expected to run at low speed. 60s would be good all around street injectors but cost more than the 80s.

Run what you got, bump your fuel pressure to 58-60 psi and keep an eye on you injector duty, bring up the boost until you see duty cycle exceed 85% and you'll know your at the limit.

13. Disney Lincoln

14. Russell

I see the OP had not been here for a while. Maybe he had email alerts?

Updates?

15. Interstellar

Just driving around the country looking cool. I did the Hell on Wheels Lemons Rally with this car in November. The trip was about 3000 miles in six days. It spools quickly and pulls hard. On spring it's about 3-5psi, I was running it around 8psi when I had boost control set up. I don't have any numbers, but it's fun. I did end up putting 80# Dekas in it, and "borrowed" a Holley Terminator X Max from another project.

20211106_135815.jpg #ad

Pro-SC, BBR, nxcoupe and 3 others like this.
  16. nxcoupe

I run the 99 buck 80s in my car and a couple friends as well. I think the 40s would have been fine but 80s are better. Glad to hear you are enjoying it. How about some current underhood pics?

17. Interstellar

My power steering pump started leaking and slung fluid everywhere, that's why everything is wet. Replaced it in a San Diego O'Reillys parking lot and caught up with the rally later in the day.
    20211105_220839.jpg #ad

Crossed paths with a 1200HP Skyline coming back from SEMA somewhere middle of nowhere Route 66. 20211106_192403.jpg #ad

20211106_192726.jpg #ad

18. silver82GT

Definitely not what a person would expect to see under the hood of a Galaxy. Looks great!

19. Russell

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

20. Interstellar

There is still much to improve. I stole the Terminator from another project, I actually intended to put a Haltech Elite 2500 in this car, but their trans control wasn't as plug-and-play as Holley and I didn't have time to sort it out before the trip.

I found that since I moved my radiator inwards a few inches to clear the intercooler, it pulls too much hot engine bay air to work in LA traffic. I need to make some new ducting for it, or something.

I actually bought a '66 Galaxie with better body and paint that I may move the motor to eventually. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but the '66 was too cheap to pass up and too nice to be a parts car. Both are garaged for the winter, no plans to do anything with them at the moment, but I'll probably start fiddling with them again later this winter.

nxcoupe, Russell and Disney Lincoln like this.