1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

545 epoxy primer over bare steel

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by actmobmar, Jul 17, 2016.

1. actmobmar

looking to do something to add better corrosion/rust resistance. getting ready to hang new quarters and was wondering, once i get the quarters hung, would it be worthwhile to apply 545 epoxy primer to the steel before i start bodywork? or am i better off just using a primer/sealer before the start of bodywork? i know some people put filler on bare steel, which i don't agree with. thanks

2. Chuck L

We use the epoxy.

3. actmobmar

The reason I ask is I have a 2 gallons of 545 on the shelf, from a boat project. Do u apply the epoxy before the start of any bodywork?

4. Mnlx

Never used the 545, but I always epoxy before body work, and then again as a sealer when finished.

5. Bacon

I always use a self etching primer over the bare steel before I start anything. Then just prime like normal. I've heard of cars coming in with rock chips in fenders and stuff that took all the paint off but left the etch primer on the metal.

6. actmobmar

That's the way epoxy primer is too

7. Bacon

Sounds like that's your answer! Good stuff.