1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

500 rwhp, 360 Mag, Realistic?

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by 74Dart, Apr 2, 2008.

1. 74Dart

Alright guys once again i'm in need of some advice. I don't do much talking on the turbo subject, still reading and learning.
    I have a 5.9 Magnum with some goodies (R/T heads, ported, 5 angle valve job, cam, single plane hi-rise intake, 750 BG carb) at the time i dont have cam specs but can get them this weekend. The cam probably isnt the best for turbo but ill have to see. It's set up for naturally aspirated but am looking to soon change it to turbo when i get the transmission (3000 flash stall) and rear in the car (1974 Dodge Dart Swinger). but here goes my question..

Can i get 500 rwhp reliably? Can i use log style headers to accomplish this (magnum manifolds turned upside down?) or am i going to have to make headers. at the moment i have no idea what turbo to use but i can figure that out later. The car is going to be mostly a street driven car with some track time (1/8 mile)

whatever you can tell me would be appreciated. :2thumbs:

2. Ugly_On_Purpose

The magnum engine should be able to take that kind of power fairly easily. In reaching that kind of power your stock pistons would be the weak link, but a with with a safe tune it should be ok. Unfortunately the magnum manifolds won't fit upside down. I tried that ;) If your cam is in the 112-114 lsa range it should also be ok.

you have a pm

3. Anthony Fury

Search for posts by Duner - he is making at least that much power with a stock Magnum 5.9.

Search for posts by Tilt to get an idea of how to make your own log-style headers.

4. 74Dart

thanks guys, will do. ill have to pm duner. i hear hes doing great things with those mag motors.

5. mpi_duster

You can't put them on upside down, but if you flip them right to left it give you two front dumping manifolds that you can use a Y pipe style connection for a single turbo app. I'm not certain but i believe that what duner is still using.

6. 74Dart

shit if hes still using that style and pushing that much power then im sure i can get away with my 500 hp goal. i know where i can pick up some manifolds for real cheap. i need to talk to him about his set up. thanks guys