1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5-speed Turbo DR Mustang wont hook

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by SN 94cobra turbo351w, May 23, 2011.

1. SN 94cobra turbo351w

ok so i went to the track last week and ran the car and im not happy with the car at all.the 60ft suck just wont hook and im going threw the traps in 4th gear but tires are still spinning.my 60ft are 2.1 and 2.2 which suck i have ran 1.9 on my stock 99 gt.anyone any any clue as to what i could do to make the 60ft better.all night i was running 2.1 or 2.2 and went 12.1@ 127 and a few 11.8 and 1 pass of 11.3 the 11.3 they didnt give me a time slip so i have no clue what the 60fy was but i know it was not good.a list below is whats done to the car. im leaving off the 2step at 4000 RPM with about 7 psi the car jumps forward bogs down and then blows the tires off.

ENGINE

351w roller block
    Edelbrock victor jr heads
    F 303 cam
    1.7 roller rockers
    Polised spyder intake upper,lower
    75mm accufab throttle body
    3"pmas blow through mass air
    Sheet metal valve covers
    Polished catch can
    Ford racing harmonic balancer SFI
    DSS main support

TURBO SETUP

Turbonetics 76mm turbo bb oil/water cooled
    JGS 50mm wastegame
    JGS 56mm blow off valve
    All polished hot & cold piping
    DEI turbo blanket
    DEI header wrap

SUSPENTION

AJE k member
    AJE front tubular A arms
    Maximum motorsports caster camber plates
    AJE front coilovers
    AJE rear coilovers
    Maximum motorsport subframe connectors
    Flaming River FR 1892 manual rack& pinion
    3.73 gear and auburn locker

BRAKES

pro street AeroSpace brakes

KITS INCLUDE:
    Billet Aluminum 4 Piston Calipers
    Billet Aluminum Hubs with screw in dust caps
    Billet Aluminum Mounting Brackets
    11 3/4 Diameter .81 Thick Vented Rotors
    Grade 8 Hardware
    1/2 x 3" long screw in wheel studs
    Wheel Bearings
    Grease seals
    Hawk Performance Brake Pads
    Meets All NHRA / IHRA Requirements
    Moser 31 spline axles
    Hardened wheel studs
    McGard lug nuts
    Line lock

transmission

tremec tko 600
    Aluminum Driveshaft
    Driveshaft safety loop

Fuel System

Aeromotive Fuel System
    Aeromotive Fuel Rails
    A 1000 Pump
    Aeromotive Fuel Pressure regulator
    Aeromotive Y Block
    All braided lines
    Lucas 75lb injectors EV1 Style

ELECTRONICS

Anderson PMS Series 4 with 3 Bar map sensor
    MSD 8451 Pro Billet distributor
    MSD Digital-6 plus CD ignition
    MSD plus wires
    MAD Cap/rotor/coil
    AEM tru boost controller
    Autometer Wideband

COOLING

Meziere water pump 55GPM
    Fluidyne radiator
    Pro billet thermostat Housing
    Electric fan

WHEELS/TIRES

3pc Trak Star Pro series
    15x10 15x4
    325/50/15 BF Goodrich Drag Radials

BODY

5" Harwood Cobra R hood
    clear Cobra lights
    Cobra Front/Rear Bumper

2. hotrodder_101

After the car bogs, does it make tons of boost? No experience with it but seems like the engine is dumping a ton of fuel and not burning it all. Then when it finally catches up it makes more boost frying the tires. Just my thoughts. How big of a burnout are you doing? Tire pressure? Are you dumping the clutch or side stepping it? Can your boost controller ramp in boost? Maybe some one that has experienced this will chime in. Also you might want to post in the suspension section.
    Luke

3. stangman9897

Its that polished catch can, jfwy. On suspention you have every thing up front except rear coil overs . Does that mean your running stock upper and lower control arms on the rear if so i would start with some good control arms on the rear of that thing along with some good bushings to go with them. You need to put some MT drag radials on the car, what air pressure or you running in the BFGs and are you getting them hot.

4. 302f150

Definitely don't see control arms in his list. Get some adjustable ones with poly or solid mounts and set your pinion angle properly. Should help a lot.

5. SN 94cobra turbo351w

well it is running rich in the lower RPM so you could be right.im doing a 2nd gear burn out for maybe 5sec.tire pressure was 25psi then i went down to 22psi but my buddy said the the tires i have i dont want to go lower i should go higher.im on the 2 step at 4000RPM and im dumping it.

6. SN 94cobra turbo351w

no i have front and rear control arms with mega bite jr lowers.90/10 and 50/50.i was running 25psi then went down to 22 psi and then i was told to go back up that on the bf tires you dont want to go to low that i should go up.as for tires getting hot yea im guessing they were.was doing a 2nd gear burg out for about 5 sec.also i noticed i smashed my mac pinion snubber

7. SN 94cobra turbo351w

sorry about the i have adjustable control arms

cobra 017.jpg #ad

my cobra 001.jpg #ad

cobra 018.jpg #ad

8. slowboat

Got any video of car leaving line ?

9. SN 94cobra turbo351w

i did have video but i deleted them because it looked so slow.lol ill be going back soon and ill take more video

10. SN 94cobra turbo351w

gaskets 004.jpg #ad

11. SN 94cobra turbo351w

here is the busted pinion snubber

12. stangman9897

I would check your pinon angle and let some air out of the tires try a pass with 18psi and see what happens. Does the car have a dyno tune on it. ?

13. hotrodder_101

I had a snubber on my fox. It hit it all the time with it adjusted in as far as possible. I took it off and the car drove better and left better. I think I was hitting it hard enough on the snout to be pushed back down and unload the tires. That maybe wrong but that is my reasoning for it.
    Luke

14. SN 94cobra turbo351w

no dyno tune yet.i was letting air out of the tires but my buddy said on the bg drag radials you dont want to let air out then you add more air.he said if you let air out it takes away the tire patch.either way it didnt work that night

15. SN 94cobra turbo351w

so now im heariing from a few diffrent people that the bg goodrich drag radials suck.that they dont recover well after they start spinning.might get some mickey thompsons

16. sweat90lx

I tried some BFG DRs last year and my slow NA car wouldnt hook with them
    running 275/60 MTs now and 1.7 60 fts. :chacha:

17. SN 94cobra turbo351w

yea thats what im starting to hear is the bf suck.

18. Qwik_SN95

Just woundering if you ever got it to hook?

19. PrecisionTurboMustang

You need to fix the bog, you are not doing yourself by unloading the suspension before getting going good.

20. mookandairin

there is a book called the door slammers handbook by David Morgan.the book rocks check it out.as far as the wheels/tires go,I dont have any exp w/ them but I know 25lbs at the track is a little high so I would go to something different.on slicks we go as low as 12lbs but that is slicks with tubes so they are a different breed of tire.my brother tried toyo tires on his 69 camero w/ 1200hp from nos and he said they were the best street tires he ever had on the car but they were burn up tires for fun and he changed them because the burnouts were weak in comparison to others they hooked on the street faster than anything go fig.I dont know if this helps it is just what has happened to us but the book is amazing that is for sure I am using it for the baker and expect good things from it.good luck