1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5 pin hei module

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by PrecisionTurboMustang, Jan 9, 2014.

1. PrecisionTurboMustang

Any reason why a 5 pin hei module that pulls 10 degrees of timing when the 5th pin is grounded wouldn't work fine? Going to go msd 6530 eventually but would love to get some timing control short term. Locking the distributor is not an option as I want to street drive the thing without making a bunch of heat.

2. larouchedem

They work nicely for start retard. I've used the D1941 [grounding 5th pin] for start retard, it retards 5* crank, not 10. As far as for boost retard, I've read that they get hot when "engaged". Good heat sink grease is a must imo. This fellow, Bill Jones is a sharp ole cookie. He says it reduces the output of the coil.

Fyi, $13.50 for new D1941 Delco

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=221338037019[/U]

I have read that some others work via 12v to the 5th pin, but I'm not 100%.

Dave

p.s. - I've thought about locked timing, with a 5 pin 1941 for start, and a 20* vac can for cruise advance. A check valve between can and manifold, and a small bleed between the can and the check would assure that the vac adv drops off under boost.