1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

Discussion in 'The Builds Board Hall of Fame Builds' started by Anthony Fury, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Anthony Fury

5" DP, full 3.5" exhaust, stock hood, full accessory 3700# Capri = 9.31 @ 146

Okay, here's the latest build from the Shaunthony's prison: Michael Pratt's '86 Mercury Capri, also affectionately referred to as "the car from Back to the Future." Before you get pissed that it's not really all in a Delorean, we did find a DMC grill for him....whether or not Mike uses it is his problem.

Background: Michael is a smart guy, and very particular about his build. Some of his credentials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Michael_Pratt

We knew we'd never sneak our usual JB-weld and flexpipe turbo kit past him. His build criteria -

- Stuff a large frame turbo in, someplace
    - Leave room for an even bigger turbo later
    - Fully MIG welded construction; stick welding in inconspicuous places OK
    - Fellow prisoners OK to help with construction
    - Keep all the accessories
    - Keep the stock hood
    - "Have some fun with the build!"

So far, the only one we haven't met is the last one. There are pics of the headers, midpipes and merge someplace...I'll toss those up as soon as I get them. Right now, all that's left is cold-side and intercooler modification, RE-CNCing accessory and turbo brackets / hangers, and finish the dual 3.5" aluminum exhaust over the axle....with custom built 5" aluminum mufflers. Oh, we have to make those mufflers too. (Who's idea was this?!?!)

Mike can correct me on the car's particulars; the car's got a Dart 331", AFR 185s, AOD / 9". Previous best with an T-trim (and no cage) was 9.83 @ 140 w/ 1.58 60', 3550# full weight, on DRs. Think the S400sx and an A/W intercooler will make a difference? If they don't, do you think the GT47-88 that still clears the stock hood will?

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. HouTex

Re: T6/ 331" / 5" DP / stock hood and all the accessories. In a Delorean?

Fuckin' classic.

Hell yeah.

3. BigTurboNotch

Sick! Does he really teach at the University of Illinois? I go to school there so im just checkin in, would be badass to have a professor into turbo mustangs :chacha:

4. TwinTrouble

No, Mike isn't even smart enought to build this turbo kit, let alone be a professor. That is why we are building it for him. :welder:

Stay tuned for some more pics!

-Shaun

5. 86merc

I am neither a University professor or a dead English TV actor. lol

Anthony you fail! Where are the rest of the pics I sent you? lol

OK Some back ground on the car. The car weighed just over 3600# with me in it. It is not light by any means. And now it has a full chrome moly cage. And this turbo kit will be adding weight over the Vortech kit. The car just got running and tuned with the Vortech late last year. We went out once with the 275/40/17 M/T's on the car and pump gas. On 15# of boost the car went 11.1 on the first pass. End of the day the car went 10.50 @ 131 on a 1.65 60'. That was dead hooking off a foot break. I bought the AOD and PI Converter used rebuilt. We decided to use it and see what is did. I was told in a similar car it stalled to 3800. It stalled to 2500 in my car. lol So the car did not leave hard at all.

We went back again after I changed the pulley and I borrowed a taller 275/60/15 M/T drag radial from a friend. It made 20# of boost and at the end of the day the car went 9.83 @ 140. Again the converter stalled to 2700rpm off a foot break dead hooking to a 1.57 60'. lol Every pass last year the car went quicker. So there was more in it with tuning and a looser converter would have helped out big time.

Shaun and Anthony then tempted me to let them do a turbo build. So here we are. lol This is first and fore most a street car. I drive it to work on days it doesn't rain. And I hit cruise nights just about every day of the week. So driveability could not be sacrificed. And the p/s is a must with the 17x8 rim and tire combo up front. And heat and A/C are just to nice to take off the car.

The build designed to let me easily work on the car (like spark plug access hahaha Shaun will tell you how I made this point about 100 times. hahaha), be efficient, upgradeable, run 8's on 17" drag radials and most of all be enjoyable.

6. FourEyedFord

As I said on MMA, looking good guys! :2thumbs:

7. Anthony Fury

Fixed!

8. mfpmax

Man, I thought i was gonna be seeing another Turbo Delorean!

Now I demand pictures of the rest of the car!

9. Drlee50

too much work-- i say scrap it! LOL

looking good!!!!

10. 86merc

Thanks again Bobby. How is yours coming along? I have not seen anything in few weeks.

Lots of work for sure. But should be well worth it in the end!

Here are some pics of the car and new cage. I will let Anthony post the build pics.
    The car in the Vortech booth at the NMRA/NMCA race at Rt66

11. FourEyedFord

Its coming along. We have gotten a lot done on it since I last posted, but nothing really picture worthy yet. It should be ready to fire soon!

12. 99TTGT

that's a big a$$ turbo!
    is that a 5 inch down pipe?

13. TwinTrouble

Yeah, it's a 5" downpipe that goes down to the steering shaft, then it splits into two 3.5" pipes. Should have pics of the merge up tomorrow or tuesday.

-Shaun

14. 99TTGT

what's the life of an aluminun down pipe?<how long it will last?>
    look's real nice!

15. 86merc

The down pipe and split is steel. It will then be changed to aluminum after the trans crossmember.

Guys run alum. down pipes on race cars. Not sure how it would hold up on a street car.

16. 99TTGT

how loud is it?

17. 86merc

No clue. They are still building the kit. Anthony has to get all the pics uploaded to the server and then on here. But the DP & split is done. The dual is done to the back of the trans. They are making mufflers and the rest of the exhaust system in the next few weeks. We will keep you posted. When the car runs in a couple of months we will have video of it. I promise.

18. 1MEANGT

The car is SICK Mike and coming along nicely! It will be bad ass once finished!!! Nice work guys!

19. Milner

20. 86merc

Thanks guys. There is a lot more done on the car. Anthony should have the pics up soon.

Milner, That is a McLaren wing. Original are hard to find in good shape. And Expensive when you find them. There is a repro out there too. I have heard mixed reviews. I hope to paint the car next winter. I will most likely try to get one on the car. I think they look pretty good.

bridal-shoal