1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.4 DOHC Distributor questions

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by tom351s, Dec 24, 2018.

1. tom351s

I've got a classic FAST system that will be using an msd crank trigger. What i'm looking to find out is exactly what kind of distributor i need, sync, magnetic pickup, crank trigger, or what? I've scoured the internet reading distributor threads but never could find that. I'll be doing the conversion myself, so if anybody can help with that info or if there are some tricks or tips involved i'd appreciate it.

2. 91turboterror

The only thing I’ve seen was for the trick flow one said it was a dual pickup distributor

3. tom351s

Thanks. I did find an old post buried in which 99TTGT mentioned he had used a magnetic pickup distributor. Looks like he used the same setup i intend to use.

4. converturbo

There is a little slop in the chains and this can allow 7° of timing movement, if I remember correctly. That said, the crank trigger is the best option for this setup. I built one for a DOHC that I was messing with a few years ago. I used a mechanical advance distributor before I learned of the natural movement being a problem.