1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.3 Harmonic balancer bolt is stuck, suggestions?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by PaulF, Oct 17, 2012.

1. PaulF

My 2000 5.3 has a harmonic balancer bolt that absolutely will not break free. My 1/2" impact wont budge it. I tried locking the crank with bolts in the flywheel holes then a bar through them against the head of the engine stand, then using a cheater bar on my breaker bar attached to the balancer bolt and all it did was bend the shit out of the bolts in the flywheel holes! I put a bunch of heat to the head of the bolt but there is just too much mass there for my MAPP torch to have any effect.

Anyone got a suggestion?

2. PaulF

Never mind!

It just took a 4 foot cheater bar and another four foot rod through the balancer to break that sumbitch free! Balancer is off now. :D