1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.2L OHV 318 magnum twin turbo build

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by PowerhouseRam, Jan 14, 2023.

1. PowerhouseRam

Hey guys so I got this radical probably the most craziest idea for a build design for my 98 dodge ram 1500 4x4 quad cab Laramie it currently has a stalk 5.2L V8 Magnum with the OHV 46RE transmission I plan on putting a twin turbo set up in it but before that happens I am replacing the OE flat top camshaft and going with a complete comp cam k20-741-9 extreme energy roller rocker cam kit with A comp cam double roller Magnum timing kit upgrade the OE steel heads are getting stripped down and resurfaced and installing roller rockers lifter springs valves and replacing all that good stuff installed on top of all that there will be an edelbrock 7577 performer RPM air gap intake manifold with a quad barrel AVS2 electric choke carb on top of that going to the fuel system I am installing brand new fuel rails with a full set of AUS A56010-320-8-E high performance fuel injectors going to ignition system I am installing a brand new Dragon Fire performance distributor with an ACCEL super ignition coil for the plugs and wires I am going with the E3 diamond fire platinum plugs and Taylor Lightning Volt 8.2V wires the exhaust manifold I am going with the Mopar Twin turbo manifolds with the T4 oil cooled twin turbo set up with an open waist gate and getting the aftermarket muscle look hood back to the tranny this is where I am at a loss because the amount of power my complete top end motor overhaul will be producing i don't know what modifications I can do to the Current 4x4 46RE transmission any ideas or pointers would be really helpful the truck is getting a
    2.5" suspension lift kit with Tough country adjustable Heavy duty sway bar and linkage getting rid of the frame mount sway bar ultimately opening up a mount point for my turbo oil cooler some modifications will need to be done to make this happen i do know this however with the latter frame i can order a cross bar that is a direct bolt up to the frame to mount my cooler on for the turbo the exhaust is going from the factory 2" piping to 3" piping opening up the back pressure to compensate for boost build up and maximize fuel efficiency brand new cats with the 02 ports as I do not want to do an O2 delete bringing the exhaust piping all over to factory side with an x pipe that will keep the pipes closer together going towards the rear of the truck before hitting the mod point for routing the pipes around the spare tire it's getting a thrush Glass Pack muffler duel to single but putting a Y splitter at the non duel end to continue duel exhaust route and piping it straight out the back 20 in mayhem road warrior series rims black with red accent with a 5in wheel backspacing allowing me to put my all season all terrain M/T 35" tires on the truck ring and pinion gears in both front and rear ends (Dana 44) are getting upgraded to a 4:10 ratio HID conversion kit with a 55 watt ballast for each light in the front the tail light and cab over light in the back (the idiot light) are all being converted to LEDs the control arms I want to do a fabricated suspension like shock absorber that mounts under the rear door on the frame and run's all the way up to the control arm mount points on top and bottom of the axle on both sides with an airbag suspension assist system all around duel shock mounting system on rear axle to prevent "dog walking" in the rear end due to the poorly designed one front one back shock design for ultimate traction in rough rocky or backwoods terrain brand new paint job black base primer/sealer with gloss black with the red metallic shaving paint additive for that red accent look I'm aiming for with an additional clear coat sealer for that classic dodge paint job look adjustable heated tow mirrors that not only fold to the door but also flips upwards for towing the bumper set up is gonna be the diamond plate design steel drop bumper that is a direct fit and wider then the stock one dropping the rear bumper down around a foot with a lower rubber trim for impact shock absorption if I get hit on the rear or back into something I wasn't paying attention to up on the trail the front bumper is going to be a Ranch hand Legend series multi use/attachment bumper cattle guard and like the back bumper the rubber blocking between the mount points on frame and bumper for again impact resistance transitional windows that adapt for brightness for back glass window and front driver and windows as the 2 rear half doors are already tinted K40 open Helical coil tuneable 64" whip multi use CB/radio transmitter antenna mounted on the driver side fender now going into the interior everything gets gutted new dash casing cuz old one is broken new ventilation system under the dash dash is going full black with red accents high back bucket seats are disappearing and going in is custom upholstered leather heated black/Red with Ram emblem integrated into the seats that are slightly smaller then OE with a 5pt harness seatbelt set up since HP gonna be mind blowing with all the aftermarket modifications I heard something about a bottom end kit for these motors just wondering what y'all think I should go with looking for pulling off road fuel economy as this truck is my daily and since 98 when it came out it Has NOT had any in depth maintenance done to any aspect of the motor except the water pump I'm looking to maximize vacuum capacity so everything works properly and not running like the certified shitbox it is now with both Plenum and manifold gaskets leaking broken manifold studs etc creating the ever haunting Tick that sounds like a lifter to the uneducated back to the interior it is getting black microfiber carpeting with a custom cut to fit factory spec front floorboard all season red and black floor mats the radio is being relocated to the ceiling since the OE factory placement is a perfect Fit for my Uniden Bearcat SSB CB radio and i don't have to worry about wiring except the wire harness extension for the relocation of the stereo it is getting a touchscreen backup camera BT audio with a overhead mounting box that's not to big and not to small and I can wrap my double 10" sub mount box that's like hella shallow right around it boss audio premium sound kit tweeters 6x9 and 4x5.25 4 way boss audio speakers and a 1k watt amplifier it's also getting LED lights under the dash to light up the floorboard and yea I guess you could say I'm building a Supercharger Ram series with a completely different suspension set up that will ultimately improve everything on drivability and handling it's a majorly expensive restoration project total cost of all parts and accessories including the 10k my brother put in to this truck already I'm looking at a 27k build currently lacking in the funds department but I am a major motor head and wanna get this project off the ground so I can do stuff like Gass monkey garage and all those pretty cool restoration projects that get an extreme power boost this truck is gonna be my show truck I will absolutely not in no way sell this truck when its complete but will take annual trips around the country stopping somewhere so Everyone has a chance to come see this build up close and ask questions currently if anyone wants to help out there is a public list on Amazon.com Sponsors are welcome just look for me on FB I will be posting updates along the way about this project would be pretty cool to get Dodge on board with this pretty sweet build if the motor is built right tuned up and dropped in a smaller lighter circle track racer the design would probably easily pull 1200+ HP with the 600+BHP from the twin turbo's let me know what y'all think of this build it be really cool to kickstart my dream career

2. 91turboterror

so are you running a carb and injectors???

3. PowerhouseRam

Its one of the duel ones that can run either way

4. PowerhouseRam

I'm runing the Edelbrock AVS 2 #1906 it includes both timed and vacuum ports for ignition advance they come with 101 primaries and 098 secondary metering jets they also come in 3 different sizes and I feel stupid because I can't put a carb on a throttle body multi point EFI I gotta go back to the drawing board for a second

5. PowerhouseRam

So I went back and reassessed my mismatched system and it came up with just reusing the stock intake just weld the Plenum to the manifold it eliminates that gasket entirely also allowing me to add the turbo system and use the OE throttle body finding an aftermarket kit has been challenging but just curious I'm doing a cruise control delete as I never use it because it's a gas hog in these older trucks what throttle body could I use that has the TPS and IAC valve but also take the capacity of the twin turbos

6. sam51

Hughs engines should have everything you need, their specialty are the new magnum engines. you should hit up you tube and search 5.2/5.9 magnum turbo motors, there are a lot of them out there and you can get some ideas on how to put your setup together, there are also guys here that can help out, this was the first place I came to when I decided to turbo my 5.9 magnum and they have had some solid advice.