1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.0 stroker + offset wrist pin +building for boost= short lived pistons

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by ashford, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ashford

last time out at the race track for a street legal my engine ingested a piece of foreign material and buggered up the piston crown and bore. :swear: so i pulled the engine to tear it down and this is what i found
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

heavy wear on one side, the side with greater distance to the wrist pin. .these stroker kits pull the piston a long ways out of the bore, roughtly dead center of the wear mark. i had the machinist hone the block to .004 piston clearance the tighter side of the power adder spec. the engine has about 1500 miles on it and was quiet when new and started to develop a noticable piston slap not long before i pulled it. i used diesel oil for the first few oil changes at 30min then 100 miles at 500 i switched to synthetic 10w30.

the block being a teksid and .030 over was done, so i ordered a new romeo block and new std bore non offset wrist pins as i don't have the means to invest in a whole new shortblock.

i was thinking i should use 5w50 oil that ford specs out for the newer 5.0 along with a tigher bore clearance to get some life out of the next engine

2. 99TTGT

I seen this before
    why not go back to 281?....

whas't the setup?

3. 91turboterror

If you want cubic inches why not a 5.4?

4. stangman9897

I just asked Randy 2 weeks ago about going to a 5.0 stroker on my new motor and he told me to stick with 4.6 and this is one of the reasons, people are making 1200 with a 4.6 so why stroke it, the stroke does pull the piston farther out of the bore on the down stroke.
    Plus in your pic's that's the thrust side of the piston which will have more wear than the other side of the skirt, but I have stock 70,000 mile pull outs that don't have near that much on the thrust side. look how much higher up the thrust side wear is on your's compared to the stock stroke , shows the difference in the stroke.

IMG_1160.JPG #ad

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  5. Roy

Boring and honing leaves a very sharp edge at the bottom of the sleeve. Make sure its filed or stoned off before you wash the engine for assembly.

6. ashford

had a talk with mmr, they said this is generally from a looser bore with bore distortion, i just bought a brand new block and they say that the pistons are drop in no honing required and i should have no problems. gonna give this stroker another try, if noises start to appear, ill start over again with a sbf

7. BLK_03

Deviating from stock-suggested oil weight will create a less than ideal situation in the valvetrain. Those lash adjusters/followers/tensioners are designed to operate with a certain viscosity.