1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.0 pushing water at high boost. update efi spyder intake oring block and f cam

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by draggsxr1000, Oct 1, 2012.

1. draggsxr1000

Guys we built this lil test motor to get our feet wet with fi. Its been running two years now. Current motor is a stock block cast piston 302 with aluminum heads. Running e85 in a great chasis. But everytime we really throw the boost too it say 18 to 24 psi it pushes water. About two quarts a 1/8 mile pass. It currently has mls headgaskets witg arp studs. Its showing zero signs of detonation. Very safe timing i think 23 or so at 20 psi. However it isnt intercooled yet. Iat in the 200 range. So basicly we are looking for input on our next move. We are looking at o-ringing the block. Or using some kinda spray sealant we seen on here. We dont really wanna waste to much money but this lil combo is so much fun in a 2000lb car.

2. Gen1SVE

Re: 5.0 pushing water at high boost.

Stock ford block? If so I would count your blessings that it is still in one piece. Next step if you are looking to keep that block is to verify the heads and block are straight, possibly drill and tap the block for 1/2" studs. O ringing does not work as well as the mls gaskets. Some have better luck with the Fel-pro mls, others with Cometic. I would assume at your power level the block is moving around a bit.

3. draggsxr1000

The block was true. Both heads and block where sent to be checked. last go around. Yes were lucky but to be honest we really dont care about it. 300.00 motor as served its purpose. Its just hard to race something blowing water out. If u keep it under 18 psi no water at all. As many good parts as it has its also hurt by stock tb and intake.

4. Mnlx

What cyl heads? May not care about the motor, but what about the car....... have seen a few wreck driving thru water.

5. draggsxr1000

Car has a diaper. Car has pro comps with good valves and springs.

6. stangman9897

I would have that block gold plated and keep it forever, i can't believe it and cast pistons have taken 20 psi and lived.

7. cat herder

Just because the deck checks flat with the head off does not mean it's still flat when it's running.

8. Mnlx

Most likely a deck stiffness issue, and not a fastener issue...... correct? Dont stock ls motors do the same because of deck thickness?

9. cat herder

Increasing fastener strength can be counterproductive... more clamping force than the block can handle will not give a better seal.

10. draggsxr1000

Ok and ur saying we should?? Where just looking for ideas too keep headgaskets alive

11. Mnlx

Upgrade the intake, tb, and keep the boost down.

12. draggsxr1000

351w going in this winter. why waste money. So an intake and tb gonna keep gaskets in nope. We still gonna run 20 plus. Where tryong to save money not waste it on parts. Lol i can see im not gonna get answers here. Your solution throw parts and money at it. If anyone has a solution to keeping head gaskets in at high boost on stock blocks let me know.

13. Mnlx

Stock intakes flow horrible...... ported they barely squeak 200 cfm. Intake would allow you to make more power at lower boost..... saving the head gasket. IIRC the Pro Comps decks are not as thick as some of the other castings, this may be part of your problem. Sometimes there is no fix.

14. draggsxr1000

I agre they prob. Dont flow a great deal. But from my experience psi can over come alot of flaws. Lol besides we have no interest in turning it down. We wanna turn it up. Hince the reason to fix the gasket issue. Maybe we got a bad mls? I think our next move is to oring the block and add cheap headgaskets and shoot for 40 psi.

15. Mnlx

I have been around diesel tractor pulling for quite some time, and many with good gaskets, or o rings and good fasteners still push water....... just cant fix weak castings.

16. Mnlx

Good luck on your glory pass.

17. 73Runabout

Try it with less timing...

18. Gen1SVE

on E85 I would not run anything less than 20 deg even @ 40 psi. The Windsor engines are don't like low timing just as much as they don't like high timing. I had knock with 15psi, 93 oct, meth, and any thing less than 18deg of timing. Talked to an engine builder friend of mine and he had a customer blow head gaskets with a sbf and 15 deg of timing, no boost. Too safe is not good either.

19. cat herder

Yeah, stock head bolts. You don't need the studs, they are hurting you. Fastener has to be stretched, like a spring, to keep all the parts in contact with each other as it all moves around. The studs are too stiff to stretch the proper amount without overloading the thin decks on the crappy block.

20. 86lxnotch

try less timing and see what happens. i know sbf's like timing but thats alot of boost and those high iats dont help. i was at 145* on pumpgas and now with e85 im at 104* on a 87* day. i only have a cheapy $100 shipped ebay fmic