1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.0 fox body twin volvo turbos

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by Warriorautotech, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Warriorautotech

Hi all, i have a 93 mustang 5.0 convertible and i am looking to build my own junkyard twin turbo setup. The local upullit has several 1.9t v40s and a pair of xc90s. One has a single turbo 2.4 and the other has a twin turbo 2.9. Would any of these be good donors for my project? Im looking for quick spooling turbos making 10 or 12 psi max. 400 to 450 hp. I dont know much about turbos as far as what the letters and numbers mean and how that affects performance

FB_IMG_1535807486979.jpg #ad

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  2. 91turboterror

Two turbos from the 2.4 would be your best bet if your running stock heads or iron gt40s and stock cam. If the 2.9 is twin you’d need 4 of them lol. Why not just get a pair of 60/63 t3s new from eBay it’s the same size as the early stick turbo tbirds if you can find some cars to source them from.

3. Warriorautotech

Those are the same price on ebay as the used ones in the junkyard lol. Speaking of ebay turbos,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1995-...ackage-5-0-Downpipes-Battery-Box/273145888390
    Im thinking this might be the cheapest way to go

4. Pro-SC

you might also want to consider a single turbo. A single is easy to package and
    Well proven combos with a set of flipped shorty headers, just need to fab the crossover and blow off valve. In my previous experience with the cheap kits is some are so bad that the exhaust manifolds would not even bolt up to the heads as the holes were so far out, never mind the cracking. The cold side cheap parts are okay. Get a set of shortys and a Borg 366, you will be glad you did.

5. 91turboterror

You could just flip your stock shorty headers you know they fit already plus they fit over the exhaust ports nicer than some of the aftermarket unequal length headers out there . They are large enough
    To meet your hp goals and not give you any extra lag. The stock headers would work well for twin or single . A t70 t4 turbo is another good candidate if you go single. Keep the crossover piping at 2” if you go single .

6. Mnlx

Most anything in a T4 frame, and a 60-70mm compressor will achieve your goals with a single, and would get my vote.

7. Drac0nic

I would lean towards those choices being too small for basically anything but a 100% stock 5.0 and even sketchy at that point. If I had to go with a set of turbos it would certainly be a pair of the 2.4 ones though. Toss some Green Giants from a lightning in, tune it up and you should be good for a bit over 400hp probably.

8. Disney Lincoln

Flipped stock shorties don't cover the exhaust port. I've done it. Have to oval out the holes.

9. ng8264723

disney lincoln has built some cool cars!

10. Underpsi

Flipped equal length BBK's don't cover exhaust either.

11. Drac0nic

Holy thread dredge batman!

Long time dude, how's life?

12. Underpsi

Good. Still alive.

13. ng8264723

The thread is not dead lol

Drac0nic likes this.