1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

5.4 b-headed intake question

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by GoldenHP, Sep 4, 2010.

1. GoldenHP

Im in the works of building a 5.4 dohc b head motor, the question i got is this: I have a cobra intake that is being widen to fit the motor I got the runners out but some of them have a crack or holes from beaking thats too big to be replace. so i wanna know where i can find runners or where i can find parts to make runners,. The other part is this with the runners out this intake is huge is there a benefit to run shorter runners with air horns if i can find them that is compared to stock runners lengths? last question (i promise) im thinkin of finding a 03-04 cobra aftercooler since this intake is wide enough and deep enough and fabbing two chambers the top and the bottom seperate save for the cooler the question is this if you run a intercooler air/air then it blows trough an aftercooler with it being in the intake would it have more heat in it then the air/air or would it cool it down more.
    THE PLAN
    99 5.4 lightining block
    forged crank
    forged mmr rods
    flat-tops around 9.5.1-9.7.1 comp
    stock b heads lightly ported (maybe)
    intake with imrc port matched and ports worked on
    Twin 54 turbo will be going to 60's if needed. on that not i have .63ar on the exhuast is this ok or should i step it up some
    mono throttle body
    if money permits mmr stage 1 turbo cams
    80 lbs injectors (can I still run the stock computer with this setup) I have a kennebell boost-a-spark and accell coils and a fuel system with a a1000 pump thinkin of two one for each rail. computer is a 96 gt)
    Im thinkin i should hit the 750-800 rwhp without too much of a issue

2. stangman9897

Can you go into more detail about whats wrong with the runners, what do you mean cracked or holes. Can you post a pic maybe, why can't the holes be tiged up and ground down. As far as buying runners i have never seen them for sale , they would have to be made and you are talking big bucks to fab custom runners especially curved ones for an cobra intake. they would most likely have to be cast or stamped in two peices and welded togather , any way you look at it BIG bucks. The aftercooler would work but would cause some restriction in air flow most likely but being forced induction it might not make that much difference. I run an off the wall 2V intake on my D/D that has one in it , but its not useing an a/a first.

Cobra 019.jpg #ad

Cobra 023.jpg #ad

3. GoldenHP

Can't you jus buy some aluminum tubes for runners? But what would short runners do to the power curve compared to longer ones

4. 99TTGT

rodney
    stock runner length works good on low to mid range.
    with a empty shell you will loose power

BTW
    http://www.reichardracing.com/46to54adapter.php

5. GoldenHP

The problem I have is when some of the stock runners came out a few broke around the base. And beyond repair so now I don't have all of them. So I wanna know how long the runners have to be. And or will short runners work ok in a boosted app. My biggest cocern is that intake has a lot of volume (I.e space) will that hurt it any

6. stangman9897

Is this for a street car or a track car.? Short runner cobra intakes are good on the big end and would not be good for street driving. Short runners work best with ported heads and big cams on the top end power range.

7. GoldenHP

this is still a street car, im gonna port the heads not sure if i want stage 1 or 2 turbo cams from mmr. I would rather have intake runners long so that i can make more torque bein that its a 5.4 but how long should they be. I guess the real question is do anyone know where i can buy material for the runners like tubes and air horns. i kinda like the boss 290 intake i seen on a falcon something like that

8. 99TTGT

why not call Travis a get one of those 99 intakes he has & make a adapter plate to work with 5.4L?
    maybe even some navi heads............ :poke:

btw
    sound like a project trying to fix the intake you have, unless you make it a short runner with is going to hurt you with this combo

9. Stzang

Yeah, short runners are going to kill your torque curve. The car won't get out of its own way til you hit 6k+ rpm. If the intake is falling apart so bad I wouldn't trust anything else on it. Find a different intake or replace horns with same as factory length and design because ford didn't spend millions designing an intake that would suck on a street car. Forced induction only adds to the atmospheric pressure that already exists so that doesn't play too much of a role into intake design except accounting for more overall flow. Some have gone with 1-2" shorter horns for top end power for the track where their spinning 7-10k with huge turbo cams but that doesn't sound like the case in your situation.