1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

4r75w parts for 4r70w

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by Wallace, May 31, 2023.

1. Wallace

I'm building a 4r70w for my LSC. Parts have gotten stupid expensive. There are a bunch of f150's with the 5.4/75 combo at the local pick a part. What used parts if any would be an upgrade? I'm starting with a 2001 model v6.
    I'm thinking of using a microsquirt with CAN to control it. I did some searching and all I was able to find were several msextra forum threads with problems. Anyone have success with microsquirt and 4r70w? Seems the gm trannies work ok with it.
    Any input greatly appreciated.

2. ashford

i havent been inside a 75. i know they have a turbine speed sensor in them but i think the whole stackup should interchange.

microsquirt works good on these trannies(jesus christ that sounds bad). ive been summer dd one for 5 years, only bitch i have is how it handles tcc on the 3-4 shift. tcc is much faster responding than shift solenoids an has a short rpm jump on the 3-4 shift when unlocking for the shift, when set to stay locked it is harsh. been wanting to get wit the devs to address this as it is not just a 4r70 issue, same with 4l80 4l60.

that idiot on the forums was causing his own problems making devs run in circles because he had a manual valve body and wouldnt admit it and wanted "gear" to be associated with shifter position and od cancel switch instead of the solenoid states so he could have boost by gear.

3. Wallace

Thanks that's good news on the ms .. did seem there was some problem with his setup. The tccoa article recommends using the planetary carrier and sun gear out of the 75w that's behind a 5.4 in an f150. Those parts new are pricey so not doing that. I could probably find a truck with the engine already out so might be an easy acquisition. Supposed to get the 4r70w this friday lot of miles but ran/drove when it was pulled.

4. Wallace

Ash, any thoughts on a rebuild kit? Lots of choices and a big swing in price. I probably need to disassemble it to find out what's in bad shape. Fluid was disgusting .. the factory "bobber" was in the pan so I'm guessing 200k without any maintenance. Magnet/pan didn't have any chunks just the usual mud. PXL_20230603_200233090.jpg #ad

5. ashford

haven't been into one of these in about 10 years. since no metal id say just a freshen up and bushings. also don't j-mod a truck valve body.

6. Wallace

It's out of a v6 mustang. Thanks I'm going to get it disassembled and go from there. What about the converter is the triple disc worth the extra money?