1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

sn95 MAF sensor vs foxbody MAF sensor

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by random-strike, Oct 14, 2005.

1. random-strike

thanks a lot to the guys on here who gave me a MAF for the cost of shipping. i really appreciate it. my car is a 88 MAF car that has the california only rectangle plug :( the ford dealership wanted $650 for a new maf LOL.

i went to pull a part and pocketed a plug. the plug is off a tarus lol. ;)

the sn95 maf housing has the flange on the end, so i took the sensor part out. put it in my 88 style housing. they are the same so it fits perfectly.

question is, the car runs pretty rough. i turned my switch off pressed the break a bit and left it without power for about 5 hours. It starts right up and idles fine. it runs pretty rough though. does the computer need time to learn before and it'll start running better? it runs real chunky... like spit spit spit spit then it pulls through and runs smoother. but does it everytime i press i accelerate normally. i tried one WOT and i just went through 1st. lets say it didnt impress me lol

i really hate stupid electrical stuff like this but im dealing. Does the computer need time to adjust? i dont have o2 sensors, is it critical for them to be in? (i dont really see anyother way for the eec to learn other than them) the reason they are out is because im running open dps that come out in front of the front tires. so id have to extend the wires and weld two bungs into the dps. which i should do anyways.

so, for all you guys with MAF experience. should the sn95 sensor work right? or is there something inside it that is calibrated different?

long post :p

thanks,

Johnny

2. random-strike

well i guess no one so i can tell ya for future refrence :)

i drove it around for a while today, and its smoothed out a lot. so you CAN use the sensor from a sn95 on a fox ;)

still going to try and put my o2 sensors in. i bumped the timing a little from 5 base to 8 base and it seems to spool the turbos up better ;)