1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

477 BBM in dyno

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by jyrki, Apr 26, 2010.

1. jyrki

Was quite a hassle to bolt everything on, since we used also the cars fuel lines, tank & pump & wiring in the dyno. However, it turned out great working very effortlessly. We run the engine from 4000 to 7000 rpm and it made a little more power than I figured. The biggest surprise was the rpm range, it was way lower than I would have thought peaking at 6100 rpm, max tq was at 4900. The turbos are a bit small and I believe considerably higher power could be achieved wiith some other turbos. However, that is with the expence of low end, and we have no reason to change anything with the current chassis, it makes more power than we can use. The engine worked like charm and we got the EFI tuned great, now it idles great, cold start is fine and the part throttle operation is good too, the difference was dramatic. The fuel system and water pump proved to be addecute too.

Anyway here is the results form one pull, it's not the best though, made more with more boost, but I believe we are going to drive it in this tune.
    The engine is a RB 4.5" x 3.75", K1 crank & 7.1" rods, Ross pistons with 51cc dish, homeported Indy 440-1 heads & intake, Scott Brown solid roller cam, HS rockers, 1 3/4 primary headers, MSD 7 AL2, Blaster 2 coil, Weldon fuel pump & regulator and that's about it.

rpm , tq, hp
    4000, 1260, 958
    4500, 1322, 1136
    5000, 1380, 1317
    5500, 1339, 1406
    6000, 1329, 1520
    6500, 1242, 1541
    7000, 1118, 1494

The rear tires may be sorry...

2. turboplymouth

What turbos? I've always liked the idea of that bore/stoke combo. :2thumbs:

3. jyrki

Turbos are old AGrrets,
    Comp. side 68,7mm X 102mm Garrett TA
    Turbine 88mm GT Garrett
    A/R 1.22 Garrett

4. 72swinger360

Congrats! Those are great numbers. Whats it going in? pics?

5. TRNDZ

Nice numbers. That is an insane car.... love it.

6. jyrki

[​IMG]#ad

7. turbostef

I have seen the VIP live, and just say, -it is CRAZY.
    Look at time 5.01 and 8.34 and see the VIP-twist.

8. Anthony Fury

A MAN'S car! :)

P.S. Kick ass numbers, bud!!

9. NigelTufnel

Other than tuning the idle, cold start, and part throttle, did you have any other reason for putting it on an engine dyno as opposed to just leaving it in the car and using a chassis dyno? Just wondering as it would seem to have been easier.

Anyways, congrats on the awesome numbers! :2thumbs:

10. turbo hemi

Would love to see that thing with a pair of 88's on it. :chacha:

11. jyrki

It would definitely produce way more power with bigger turbos, or even the current ones with bigger exhaust housing. But it does already produce enough and with bigger turbos the response would suffer making it harder to run against naturally aspirated cars.
    The reason for engine dyno instead of wheel is the lack of the torque converter in between. Our converter had 6200 rpm stall speed last summer, so it wouldn't have told us much to run it in a wheel dyno. And of course it's easier to do things in an engine dyno, and you get way more data there on the dyno sheets. And the fact that I really don't like inertia dynos, and we don't have a "real" wheel dyno here that could handle over 400 ft-lb.

12. Dart_388

Nice numbers!
    How much boost was that? 18?

13. jyrki

22psi

14. turbo hemi

how big is the cam?

15. jyrki

268/283 at .050" and 0.7" lift, 115 LSA. The current turbos are propably out of their range.

16. MEAN_SBC

Where did you get your intercooler????

17. BLWN1

Not as familiar with all the mopar lingo, what block are you using? Nice set!!

18. jyrki

Thé intercooler was custom made by a local radaitor builder. We haven't measured the pressure drop, but it works well as far as intercooling goes and as a one row style is reasonably light, last time the intake temps were around 45C.
    We use an Indy Maxx block, it's already 10 years old. The heads, Indy 440-1's are '94 vintage.

BTW, this season has so far gone not so well. In the first race the alternator broke in the first run. We run as low boost as you can get there with the HKS 60mm wastegates, and the car tun 8.8's at 159 mph. Previous best with the same wastegate set up, but with some preload was 9.30/147. However, the engine misfired what we thought was because of too little current, we wndwd up as a runner up in the race. The next race the car continued misfiring despite of the new alternator, and we couldn't figure out the reason. On top of that the input shaft of the transmission broke; we lost on the second round in the eliminator.
    Then next race was an European Championship race, street cars didn't run there so we run at one of the race heads up classes. this time also struggling, the trans broke in the first run and the engine was still misfiring. We had to change all the internals in the trans, and run a longer 1.69 first gear ratio. At friday night while looking at the data I thought I founf the reason for the misfiring. The water temp sensor sent some "gremlin" data and it put on the safety 4000 rpm limiter that closes the injectors. There had been several experts monitoring the data, and this on my opinion was the first logical explanation for the misfiring. So, we changed the sending unit and went for the last qualification round. This time the engine run well, and despite of a soft run the car run 8.04/174 mph. We were 7. in the 16 car field. In the first round I was paired with a friend of mine running a new car, so I decided to give him one run more and wasn't even trying to beat him. Instead I tried to get a good ET. The track was good and I added some boost for the launch, we still don't have any device to control that. Despite of the longer first gear the car left well, 1.25 60 ft, but then I got somekind of a brain damage and shifted immediately to second. The result, 8.01/174 mph against the limiter. So, there's our season so far.

19. moparjoe66

killer numbers can u give us all some more info on your fuel injection setup and more details on short block please. also any more video u hav e would like to see that to :D :D :D :D :D

20. nos10racer

this car and set up looks so awesome. :2thumbs: