1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

468 bbc twin setup help

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by kziggy1519, Nov 23, 2009.

1. kziggy1519

another newbie needing some help. ive been stalking around the site for sometime and desided to jump in and ask some advise. im running a .30 over 454. flat top forged pistons, h beam rods and forged steel crank. its all internal balanced. 2 bolt block. running stock performance heads with light porting and polishing. its topped with an edelbrock preformer rpm air gap intake and mighty demon 850. it has a comp 284 xtreme energy cam hyd. flat tappet 240 in and 246 exh duration at .50 with .574 and .578 lift and 110* lobe sep.

from my research i have come to the conclusion i need two mp70s with an a1000 fuel pump and 13301 regulator.
    now keep in mind this setup is for mostly weekend cruising and occasional track nights. my question is will this cam work?
    also what else is needed besides the turbo, headers, tubing, fuel sys? ill be looking at converting the carb to a blow thru. i am fairly skilled and can fab most anything needed.
    im only looking to run about 10lbs boost.

any help or input would be greatly appreciated. what kind of numbers can be expected? what rpms will the turbos be spooled at? the motor loves to rev to 6500 rpms.
    thanks in advance

2. kziggy1519

nothing???

:doh:

3. gotageta5oh

Would you be interested in running a single or do you have your heart set on running twins? Just curious....

There are several factors that determine when the turbo's will spool so I really can't say. However, I doubt you will need to spin it as high as 6500 to make gobs of power.

4. kziggy1519

im not set on a twin setup. what would be a good turbo for a single setup?

5. hezekiahmunson

Supposedly turbo motors want more lobe seperation but it will probably run like a bat out of hell as it is, thats a big engine and alot of turbo, should be fun. If youre trying to squeeze every mph out of it then you'd want to change it but if you are like me just messing around you'll make more power then you know what to do with even with non-optimal parts.

6. kziggy1519

what size bov would i need?
    what size intake tubing and exhaust?

looking to build headers... what size primary and collector pipe?

would any of this stuff change if i went single? (other than a cross over tube)

7. hezekiahmunson

Here is a sample for a 468

EV hat ---inlet is 3.5"
    compressor outlet to merge to hat ---2.5" from compressor outlet to 3.5" merge to hat inlet
    standard 1 7/8" or 2" primary to 3" collector to 2.5" pipe into turbo , same if single doing cross over
    two cheapo chinese 38mm bovs from ebay or one 50mm tial, jgs, etc would be fine

8. standup 69

i think the cam would work fine it may start boost a little later but thta might be a good thing if its a bigger cube street car

9. kziggy1519

all sounds well thanks for the help.just one more thing... what turbo would work for a single setup? yall got me thinking, it maybe easier to fit under the hood. oh and what about wastegate?

thanks again
    :cheers:

10. hezekiahmunson

S480 would work good, if you are going all out then a thumper sized would be in order, they are enormous though so under the hood isnt possible unless you relocate your radiator. S400 series can be fit under the hood sometimes, its tight.

11. MONTEGOD7SS

You are likely to get more recommendations for a S400 on this site than any other turbo. They are high quality, built to withstand diesel operation, and can make well over 1000hp. On a 468 you could go with a 1.10 or 1.32 AR S480 and make good power. I would go 1 3/4" on the primaries, into 3" collectors, 3" crossover, 3 1/2" or 4" merge into the turbine, and try to fit a full 5" downpipe if you can.

12. SprayedSDime

Not to hyjack, but more of tire kicking for my own spare parts here.... How would a pair of standard s400 turbos work with a 468? Would there just be too much lag for the street and obnoxious amounts of power at relatively low boost settings? I'm considering doing a setup like this for my '69 C10 and just running 5" downpipes behind the front wheels dumping through the fenders. I guess it'd be a little loud for the street too, but thought I'd ask.

How could I expect response time to be with a single standard s400 on a 468 inch motor? Would it drive around with boost characteristics similar to cars with factory turbos?

Currently I have a 360" small block using a standard s400 and it's a little 'laggy' but I don't mind, keeps me pointing straight on the street :ahah:..

13. MONTEGOD7SS

A single S400 in 1.32 on a 468 should be a blast on the street. Depending on H/C/I it might be a little choked, but won't matter with that many cubes.

14. kziggy1519

i have a 4in cowl hood so i think i can stuff it under. if not.... fiberglass is easy to cut. lol

whats the diiff between the s400 and s480?

as far as the headers: it has 1 7/8 primary into 3" collecter now. thinking about cutting em up and trying to rework em. unless someone tells me its not a good idea for some reason.

what kind of number would the above turbos make in a single build? what rpm range can i expect each one to spool? will either of the above "choke" the motor on top end?

15. MONTEGOD7SS

S400 is the turbo, S480 is a generic term for a S400 turbo with a 80mm compressor wheel. The S400 can be had with a 64mm, 74mm, 80mm, and probably some other sizes of wheels as well.

Those headers should be perfectly fine for tube size, just cut them up or get some different shorties and flip them.

The S480 will support over 1000hp, and with a wide range of turbine sizes from T6 1.10, 1.32 and 1.51 as well as T4 sizes you can for sure find one that will fit your car perfectly. I would contact one of the vendors here and have them select one based off of your long block so that it will all be sized properly.

16. kziggy1519

how big is this turbo physically?

17. CyanJaguar

the s400 is BIG. it weighs almost 50lbs and takes up a lot of space.

for what you are trying to do, I would highly recommend going the twin t70 route, or even twin 61s(except they are more expensive than the mpt70)

it will be easier to place, easier to pipe, etc

18. SprayedSDime

Ah, it's not TOO big. Here's a picture of mine in my S10, sat it right where the battery was.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

19. kziggy1519

SprayedSDime
    that is very very similar to how i planned my setup in my head. what size are your headers and crossover tube? what bov? exh side looks like 5in... is there anything you would change about your setup if you were doing it over? how is it mounted? does it look like your going tohave any problems running the intake?

:cheers:

20. SprayedSDime

I would have mocked the turbo up before building the headers to get it back about 2 more inches. I would also have liked to find a way to run my crossover down and out of the way. It sure puts off some heat trying to work on it setting timing or idle mixture screws. :bang: :bang:

I don't have room for any kind of cone filter with my headlight in there so I'm getting by with a screen for now. I think my headers are 1 3/4" and the crossover is 3". Uses a Procharger red race blow off valve tucked right on top of my driver's fender along the charge pipe. The exhaust is necked down to 4" and curls around under and inside the frame rail behind the front tire. I do have a support that runs from the bottom of the CHRA to the frame rail and has spherical rod ends on each end. The exhaust system seems to support most of the weight but that is there also to help out.

This is just a small block setup, but I was trying to give an idea of the S400's relative size in a small engine bay.

As you can see, the stock S10 hood works with minor modification :chacha: