1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

468 BBC ....... Single or Twins ?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Joe-405, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Joe-405

I have a 468 ci bbc with 9 to 1 compression, 781 heads all in a 1998 mustang gt fully gutted but all street equipment.

*heads will be upgraded after I get used to the car*

Can't find any direct posts for what size turbo and twins or not.........

Original plan was a blow thru 950 with twin gt45's but I think I'm liking the idea of a single what do you guys that have the experience think ?

2. stangman9897

What are your goals for the car, street or track or both and what kind of power are you looking for.

3. Joe-405

I would like to drive it to the track so street and strip. I dont like trailers if i can stay away from it. I was thinking about trying drag week next year also or the power tour so it needs to be simple and very drivable which is why i went with turbo's instead of the bottle. I have had the bottle and wanna do something different this time.

And with the correct forged rods and pistons with good heads anything around a 1000hp would be perfect.

And thanks for replying i have looked through the forums but i dont see a good answer that fits my stuff. And yeah i looked more than the typical newb 1 page look. lol

4. stangman9897

Kind of a rule of thumb ,twins are good for street because they will spool faster and a big single for the track. But Pro Mods run twins but your not going that far, with a 468 it won't take a whole lot of turbo to hit 1000 with that many cubes. I would go with a T6 88 should get you there easy and be tame enough for the street, and with a single you only have to buy one of everything instead of 2 and less fab work.

5. TDmkr496

I have a 101mm on my 70 Chevelle 496ci and I'm pretty happy. Made 1034 rwhp @ 16 psi. I don't think you need one that big to make that power, but be careful with your turbine, I used to have an 4788 that choked the motor.

6. Joe-405

Thanks guys. I agree with a single as long as i can get it to spool quick enough so an 88 was what i figured it should be around. And less piping means i can mount a intercooler now and still not run alcohol.

7. BlownShovel

The single makes some of the fitment easier... but keep in mind you ill be routing a 4-5" downpipe somewhere. It fit on the Chevelle but next go round I will probably opt for twins with 3 - 3.5" downpipes.