1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

460 rockers on 302?

Discussion in 'Pushrod Tech' started by Wallace, Nov 8, 2023.

1. Wallace

Can these be used on a 302? Would be really cheap way to get a 1.72 ratio. I called Elgin tech support and asked them. Tech said the only difference he could see was the 302 rocker has a deflector above the oil hole.

2. Pro-SC

From what I remember you can run 460 rockers on a Cleveland but there are issues with alignment on a Windsor. If you can get a set from a junkyard try bolting them up and compare, maybe I am wrong as it has been 20 plus years since I looked into this. I have run 1.6 on the intake and 1.7’s on the exhaust with a letter cam and had decent results. Scorpion makes a pedestal style 1.7 cobra spec rocker, not that expensive either.
    I picked up a set for the 302 in my 88 sport.

3. Wallace

Will the scorpions clear the stock cast valve covers? I've got to keep the valve covers for the ls coils. I've already raised the intake up an inch to provide clearance. I was working on a 351m/400 yesterday and I see that there's a sheet metal deflector for the oil spray instead of having it incorporated into the rocker arm. I'm actively looking for a donor in the yards now. Thanks for the help.

4. Pro-SC

The baffle will have to go and the earlier engines had a ribbing inside the covers that needs to be ground down. The last couple of years they didn’t have it. I used 94/95 cobra stamped steel covers but if you still need more space you could get valve cover spacers but then that adds onto the cost.

5. Wallace

I can't raise the valve covers any further since I mounted the coils to the covers. It's a 91 and I don't think there's any ribs underneath.
    I worked on a 400m yesterday that was eating up the camshaft and lifters. I snapped a pic of the rockers you can see the little sheet metal deflector. As soon as I can find a set of of a 460 I'm going to compare to a 302. Not many of those in the junkyards though.
    PXL_20231110_182307698.jpg #ad
    PXL_20231110_182053967.jpg #ad

6. B E N

The 460 rocker arms are physically larger than a sbf 1.72 rocker (pivot axis is in a different place, overall geometry is different). Remember in a 385/Cleveland/Midland the rockers sit in the heads at an angle rather than straight like a SBF. I seem to have gotten rid of the spares I had around last time I did a clean out, if I find them I will do a side by side photo for you. They also use a larger stud than a stock 302 head would.

With your other constraints it might be better to order a set of rockers, or see if you can find a used cam with more lift and duration inexpensively. On the valve cover problem you could double stack rigid gaskets or there are spacers available.

Or ebay the rockers, and have them cost less than a set of pushrods, bigger studs and extra gaskets. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1861085543...h8s3uVfQXg4VQBtd86h9FrLvI=|tkp:Bk9SR_yVivP3Yg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2023
    silver82GT likes this.
  7. Wallace

Ben thanks. I found a 95 f350 with a 460 in the local pick a part yesterday. Right now they also have 3 mark vii's as well. So I pulled the rockers off the 460 and installed one next to the stock rockers .. see pics below. They had the same bolt and pedestal mount the slot was much longer though. Imo they will definitely not work as the difference in length is at the valve end putting the contact point almost at the bend of the rocker.
    I've got an Elgin pro stock cam with .500" lift and 220* of duration but it's on a 112* lsa so I was looking for a cheap way to increase the lift and duration of the stock cam since the lsa is much wider. Really the stock cam will make enough to crack the block so I think I'm just going to run it as is .. that's as cheap as it gets since I already have it.

8. Wallace

For some reason the pictures won't load. Weird they were same location as the files above and they loaded fine

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
  9. Wallace

10. BBR

I don't think that will work as intended. From what I understand, the rocker ratio is usually changed by moving the pushrod side, not the valve side.

11. Wallace

BBR I agree they are longer on the wrong side of the fulcrum. I had read several times that these rockers could be used so I wanted to see for myself. Any idea if a set of the 1.73 pedestal rockers will fit under the stock cast covers? I have no room to add a spacer the ls1 coils are right up against the throttle linkage on the passenger side with a 1" intake spacer. Thanks for the input.