1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

460 ford turbo options?

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Slpr74f250, May 25, 2017.

1. Slpr74f250

I've got a 1974 f250 with a mild 460 in it. I'm going to be purchasing a turbo or 2 for it in The next few days.
    My question is, should I go with like an s475 with 1.32 ar or a pair of the gt45 eBay turbos. Or will one of the larger gt45s work. Not looking for huge power maybe 500-600 for this motor.

I like the idea of a single , but I'm far from educated on this and I'll have a lot more questions as this proceeds.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  2. Mnlx

Can't go wrong with the 475 if it's a mild 460.

3. tbird

what he said

4. Slpr74f250

5. M&M Turbochargers

6. Slpr74f250

I got a good deal on a local new used s475 (was never installed). I've read a lot of debate about keeping the exhaust divided into the turbine vs merged before. Anyone here have recommendations either way?

Also what size hot side should I be looking for. Seems 2.5 or 2.25 are what's used most. Where do you guys order from?.

Wastegate suggestions depending on if it's seperate all the way or merged.

7. Pro-SC

I think you made the right choice going with the Borg 475 over the eBay unit. At least you know that you have a quality piece that is used in many oem applications.
    As far as dividing the hot side well, I would divide if thinking that you might upgrade into something else that would be used for an all out build, but if you are looking for lots of nice power, you made the right choice. The main reason why guys divide a twin scroll turbo is to help it spool sooner. I doubt though that will be an issue for you with that many cubes and turbo size. I would think that running an undivided hot side will not be an issue for you. Others will chime in but if you have a t6 132 ar s475, you should be fine.
    As for the wastegate, if you can afford it, get a good one, tial, or one of the others that are not made in China. Others play around with the el cheapo units sold on eBay, but for some reason I think they have money to waste testing out junk that can potentially hurt your engine. Go with quality, it is always cheaper in the long run.
    Good luck.

8. Slpr74f250

It is the divided t6 1.32 ar. Thanks for your insight.
    What size pipe to the merge then what size in. 2.5" from manifolds then merge into a single 3"? Does that sound about right?

9. B E N

I would go larger than single 3 out. I originally had my 400 in my f150 setup this way and found it lacking. I went to 5" and picked up a bunch on spool.

10. Mnlx

I think you're asking about the up pipe, and BEN is thinking down pipe. 2.25 feeding a 3" merge is probably large enough on a mild 460.

11. B E N

Oh, yep good catch. Had a deficit of attention. Being fed from a dual 2.25 to single 3. Won't change it when the 460 goes in.

12. Slpr74f250

Yeah I was meaning up pipe (didn't know it was called that if I'm honest). Where do you guys buy the bends and what gauge (mild steel) is recommended?

13. B E N

I used columbia river stainless for mine

14. Mnlx

Many use mild steel which you can buy many places, I usually buy J bends from Summit, or Jegs, and go 16 gauge.