1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

460 bbf camshaft for turbocharger??

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Madmac, Nov 3, 2019.

1. Madmac

Sup yall, I've been searching and reading articles on camshafts for a few weeks now and before I jump in and buy something or attempt to use what I have, I just want to make sure I'm getting it right. I have a 460 bored .060 over (472 ci) stock crank and rods trw forged pistons 22cc dish

Before I get hounded I know I should replace the connecting rods I'm still thinking about doing it before I put the engine back together. I want to drive the car on the way street I know that with stock internals I can probably only go as high as 10 psi and not go past 5500 rpms. So what camshaft should I use? I do not have heads yet for the 472. I do not have heads yet, once I find the right camshaft I will get heads to match I have a 2800 stall converter backed by a aod with a manual valve body, full spool 9 inch rear end

I have a crane h248 hydraulic flat tappet.599 lift 248/248 @0.50

I also have a crane 359351 hydraulic roller .590/.614 lift 290/300 @0.50

I've heard of someone using the summit 3501 with good results

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  2. B E N

Crane h248 with stock heads will work fine. the 359351 will not work unless you cut the valve guides down.

Stock rods at 5500 rpm will be just fine. Its the RPM that nukes them. I've never had a rod failure in all my engine failures.

Madmac likes this.
  3. Madmac

Thank you, I wasnt sure if it would run with it well or if I should buy another cam. This will be my first turbo build. I might be reading into it to much haha

4. B E N

Get it running, get some boost in it, you might be surprised how nasty it is with a mild cam.

Madmac likes this.
  5. Madmac

I am hoping for nasty haha thank you