1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

454 ho crate engine for turbo

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by 87olds442, Jun 6, 2008.

1. 87olds442

i tried doing a search if anyone has used or has heard of anyone using the 454-425 horse crate motor with single turbo setup and couldnt find it . just curious as to how they hold up . i used to be an olds motor guy but a recent mishap got me to change sides . i was thinkin of going this route just to get my car back out and so i could mock up my turbo build and over the off season build a real motor . any help/advice would be appriciated

2. Robert1320

The typical "out of the box" motor will not have the needed clearances for a serious effort motor.
    It would be ok on a milder build. You'll need a 80-88 mm just to feed it and not have tons of
    bakpressure.

3. turbodummy

what about a stock 502? of course changing the cam and springs and say like an s480? got a buddy wanting to go faster and be different. we have 3 procharged cars so i was thinking on the turbo. mine will be turbo next time so might as well experiment with someone elses money! lol

4. turboboy4548

I used to run one (454) with the ring gaps widened and a cam change in my drag car with a 6-71 it ran low 10s and was pretty reliable. When I took it apart to upgrade, the wrist pins had galled in all the pistons probably due to insuffient clearance. I replaced them with lunati flattops and fulll floating rods and ran it a couple of more years. The cranks are pretty stout in these engines. Do not run the stock crank balancer it will self destruct within 20 passes get yourself a ati or fluidampr.

5. Robert1320

Don't even bother with the fluid damper many crank company will not warranty the crank if you have one.

A stock 502 (Mark 6) with a little clearance work would work. Don't bother with the Mark V.

6. turboboy4548

I have run a fluidampr for many years with no trouble. I didnt know there was a problem.

7. turbodummy

my procharger twisted my fluiddampner off. lesson learned. :bang:

8. 87olds442

k thanks guys . i guess ill just figure out what route i wanna go now

9. wondermut

Have Robert build you one, you won't be disappointed!!

10. 87olds442

i already decided to go with him on a build. i have heard good things about him and also from readin on this board. just waiting to find out with selling my current motor and then decided on small block or big block.. im partial to either one as long as i go 9.40s to 9.70s on pump gas and mid to high 8s on race gas ..

11. Torqued

What exactly would you do to "clearance" a 502?

12. Robert1320

Completely disassemble the motor and rebuild/machine to achive proper clearances for desired hp.