1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

410w, AFR 225's heads Super Vic efi, 120 lb, & BS3...Which Turbo!!!!!

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mghoward74, May 24, 2012.

1. Mghoward74

410w, AFR 225's heads Super Vic efi, 120 lb, & BS3...Which Turbo!!!!!

Hey guys

I have finally graduated from trolling around on the corral to the more ACCREDITED TURBO FORUM...finally!

My question to the more experience guys are/is this

I just dropped off my 410w @ Greg Scott engine builders here in San Diego.
    Along with the motor is a set of AFR's 225 58cc. The motor has been cc'd with the heads on and the compression will be 8.6.1
    The pistons are Ross racing pistons ( they have ross xl400 on the underside of the piston) which I were told were pretty expensive, by my builder. The block is a SVO

I was wondering....if this was YOUR motor....what size and type of turbo would you put on it?

I'm thinking along the lines of an 88mm or something

The car is street driven, but I would like to take it to the strip as well as the track (autocross that is)

I would like dyno queen numbers of 1xxx, but would probably putt around on a few less ponies

The corral is like a virgin....she just aint givin it up

thanks

Greg

2. Chuck L

Re: 410w, AFR 225's heads Super Vic efi, 120 lb, & BS3...Which Turbo!!!!!

[ XL = Ultra Light] That piston is not recommended for a boosted application. It's also recommended not more than a 200 shot be put on them.
    Exact details can be had by referring to the numbers on the top or the pin boss. Ross can tell you exactly what they are....

I'd check w/ Ross B4 I spent a bunch of $$ and found you had a problem...

3. Mghoward74

Thanks for that info on the pistons. I will double check on which ones I have.

Why would you not be able to use the pistons.....seeing as Ross make only forged pistons....and these being such low compression

thanks

4. eades5.0

Not sure on what you want to spend, I guess the skys the limit if that doesnt matter. For bang for the buck I like the budget series Garrett GT88 with the 97mm turbine wheel would be nice on there, it comes in 1.08/1.23 a/r's. A 4788 would be nasty on their also!
    I would also consider the larger S400s, coupled with a race cover they are bad boys!

5. cat herder

Lightweight pistons are thinner - in the skirts, pin bosses, ring lands, and crown, exactly what you don't want or need. You don't need to turn monster RPM, so you'll never see any benefit from the light weight, and only get the drawback of a more fragile piston. The same reason you wouldn't want a high-dollar lightweight hollow pin crankshaft. You need everything thick, heavy, beefy. The boost will make the power, the engine's job is to not break. Totally (well, nearly) the opposite strategy needed in a max effort N/A setup.

6. Mghoward74

make sense...I'll definitely have to double check on the pistons then.

by the way....
    I got this block & rotating assy. from 10secgoal here in San Diego. He said everything is in accordance to what I want to achieve, as he was going to use the short-block with a different top end kit.

I'll let you guys know exactly what kind of pistons they are later on next week

7. Mghoward74

I'm glad you could chime in....thanks

Is the GT88 the same as the PT88. I've talked to Brian @ B&G and he suggested the 4788 also. Who or where would I get a kit for the (1.08/1.23 a/r's) or would I have to do a DIY.

The only turbo kit I really know of is B&G and the (ONE THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED ON THIS SITE) :ahah: B&G said a t4 4788 would be enough.
    I don't know enough about the S400s....but I will be researching them asap.

8. yellowpony

I am with these guys, a stout 88mm will fit the bill nicely. Why don't you call dustin about the turbo kit? Dude does a bang up job.

Anthony

9. Mghoward74

^^^^^^Well as you know Dustin does do oustanding work, but he's currently focusing on his early muatang projects, as well as his late model stuff too. ( 2005+ cars)

I'm pretty sure he would, but I seriously doubt it. It would be more expessive, because he doesnt have jigs currently made for the foxbody.

I could persuade him.....but its going to take alot of green. Lol

He does give me good tech advice...that why I may be mistaken on the info i gave about the pistons.

Anyone else??

Greg

10. yellowpony

Well dustin does great work. I have talked with him a few times and hell of a nice guy. If he doesn't want to get into it, a lot of guys are going with the cg fabrications hot side. It still requires a cold side to be fabbed and also it doesn't place the turbo in the most optimum spot for a street car, some things need to be moved around.

As for the turbo, I wouldn't put a t4 based anything on a 408. You are well into t6 framed territory. When me and other members mention a 4788, we are talking a GT4788, not PT4788. May want to give reed at work turbos or Jose at forced inductions and tell them what you are working with.

Anthony

11. SlowJoe

What up Mghoward! I purchased your 351 rotating assembly. Nice to see you here!

12. saleengt

Hey Greg!...any luck on the hotside?

Aaron

13. Mghoward74

Hey SLOWJOE

How's it going? Is the stroker kit in yet?

Make sure you keep me updated on your build?
    And let me see some pics of your build and car!!!!

14. Mghoward74

Me and Dustin talked about building me a kit.
    He can build it. He thinks it'll be cheaper to get. one from B&G, because they specialize in that.
    We'll see.

Greg

For those who are wondering about the piston situation, I still have got that info yet

15. Mghoward74

According to my engine builder....the pistons are design for turbo charged applications!
    Most of my personal friends are saying "T6"not T4 housing.

So I'll more than likely go that route!

What bran turbo....do you guys suggest.

Thanks

Greg