1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1. 88TurboTruck

well my old nitrous setup bit the bullet, so im gonna switch it up n turbo it this winter..i dont know much bout turbo setups besides the basic info so im looking for suggestions on getting the shortbock built for boost and what turbo parts to use...im looking for 800rwhpon pump gas

i have a Dart SHP 400block to start with and a Scat 3.75 forged crank from old combo id like to reuse if possible...i was looking to get a set of H beam rods and JE pistons...they have them with 36cc dish to make 9to1 comp..i have Dart Pro1 230 with 64cc..

should i make it a stroker? 5.7 or 6.0 rod? wud i be better with bigger chamber heads and less dish?? wat cam should i use? setup as solid roller now
    any suggestions would be great...

2. stephenxcool

Take a look at the build boards, a couple setups that can shoot in in different directions, for instance-

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/the-builds-board-hall-of-fame-builds/switching-from-procharger-d1sc-to-s480-bw-turbo-(-condensed-)/

Do a few searches and it should help you out more than you think.
    There are a hundred ways to get where you want to go with what you have and everyone has their different opinion based on what they had goodluck with. Don't forget to check out some sponsors, they give deals to members sometimes.
    There are many different answer depending on your goals too. I assume you want to drive it on the street?

But my .02c=
    Block is good IMO, although its not rated to that amount of HP/ The little m would be more practical, but people like blown385 from the build link i posted is proving that wrong :D, stroke is perfect, i like staying with the shorter rod so 5.7 would be good (for ring and pin placement issues).

Forged H beams will be OK just make sure the rotating assembly is all balanced and in good condition.
    IMO those heads are good but make sure you port them professionally because they have a lot of room to grow IF YOU NEED, but may not be necessary.
    You will have to be careful picking a piston with those chambers but you CAN get off the shelf. As long as you have a strong forged piston and a GOOD pin, it will work, i would call your machinist/engine builder or the supplier to see what cam they suggest for the hp, fuel, setup you'll use.

I don't see a reason to make it any more than a 406 because after that, you'll start having clearance issues most likely, stick with the lower cid.
    The camshaft depends on what you goals...will it be, streetable, strictly race, do you want to install and leave it or check lash and do maintenance occasionally?

But most importantly the chassis. Make sure it can handle the power you want and wont give you issues down the road. Because at the end of the day if the tires don't grab, your setup is useless.

What kind of car? Trans? Rearend? Low gear in the rear i hope? Do you want Single or twins? Budget build? Nitrous? Gas/race gas/E85?
    Fuel injected or Blow through?

3. Fast82z

Additional to the above, my build has taught me that compression, cam, and turbo are key items for best operation. Compresssion ties with cam since you want at least decent cylinder pressure when not in boost. I've seen some old books recommend 8.5:1 DYNAMIC compression, and I feel like this is a safe number unless you intend to boost to say 30+psi. Using race gas or e85 can allow this to be higher. I've suffered from NO low end power in large part to my 6.7:1 dynamic compression that I'm upping this winter. The turbo also ties into the cam since cams with duration more than 220's have valve overlap. If you choose more duration than this, the exhaust restriction of the turbo can begin to severely kill power if sized too small, but sized too large also makes for slow spooling.

4. 88MMrocket

either rod will work. that block is very strong and will easily support 1khp. As far as compression, ALL of our builds have at least 10:1s in them and work great. Keep the timing in check and you will make a LOT of reliable power. Your heads are fine out of the box and I would use a good custom cam builder...I use Bullet.

5. 88TurboTruck

thanks for the good info..some more info on the truck....s10 extended cab with 6pt rollbar.th400 rmvb, strange 9" wit 4.33, caltrac susp all around and strange dbl adj shocks..29x11.50 qtp..truck weighs 3500 with me...old ccombo was goin 10.3 on small shot so id say the rest of chassis shud be ok once i get it dialed in again with boost...

i kno ill need to change gears out to maybe 3.55 or 3.73

found these pistons that wud make 9to1 wit my heads..

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/jep-232514-8/media

i plan on gettin custom built cam as a solid roller when i figure out the bottom end for sure

i have custom built 1 7/8- 2" coated headers...should i use these and do a remote mount underneath or custom build headrs and do unerhood turbo?? pros and cons of each?

i plan on just a single setup to run on pump...no racegas,e85, or nitrous...would like a budget build but will spend $ on the right parts

i have custom built header

6. cat herder

Don't worry about the block. If Dart listed the true HP limit of the SHP block, they'd suddenly find nobody buying Little Ms...

Compression with big c.i. can get tricky. I've seen the JE 'severe duty' pistons fail, because the bottom corner of the dish gets too close to the top corner of the top ring groove. A bigger dish makes this worse. If you reduce the stroke to 3.5/3.48" you will need a smaller dish to get back to the same compression, and have more room to move the ring pack down, and overall end up with a stronger piston. The smaller c.i. won't hurt you in the least, and also makes turbine selection slightly easier. Less stroke also means your heads will go farther.

Even if you do reduce the stroke, I'd look somewhere other than the JE inverted domes. Probe, Diamond, or whatever.

7. racesloth

Yes those pistons you listed were pretty high priced... Probe makes some nice 2618 pieces.

8. 88MMrocket

I have Probes in mine right now.

9. Bad Medicine Racing

I think I liked the old cheap speed pros better than the SRPs I have now. They seemed more forgiving.

10. louich

im putting my 400 in an s&w 4 link s10 :)

im my 3600 pound firebird i made 892 hp to the back wheels on 15 psi with 94 pump gas with air/water intercooler. car with 3.42s has went [email protected] mph and mith more boost on pump blowing the tires off ran 9.3 at 157 mph. Its been great, im running 6 inch rod, with the big dish je pistons and afr 227's with 75cc chambers, works out right around 8.2 comp. 630 lift custom grind roller cam and a pair of master power 70's. they spool super fast, i would never say its a slug anywhere since it comes into boost so fast.

11. BoostedDownUnder

What block are you using louich?

12. cat herder

13. BoostedDownUnder

14. louich

The dart block was a nice piece for sure.