1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

3V Billet Oil pump Gears now available from MMR for all 4.6 Mustangs & F-150 5.4

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by Mod Mustang Racing, Jun 26, 2012.

1. one eyed willy

What about a billet back plate for the 3V pump?

2. one eyed willy

Supposedly the 2013 gt500 pump comes with one, fords fix for breaking gears...melling pump has one, do you know if they sell them seperatly?

3. one eyed willy

Their claim is the old back plate flexes too much, causing the gears to break from binding up when the back plate hits the gears.

im looking for the best of both worlds, I already have billet gears.

4. stangman9897

Sounds like Ford B S if you ask me. The back plate on a pump is not that big to start with and is fairly thick and it has 7 screws holding it on, and you should not have that much crank end play for the crank to do it unless you have a thrust problem. I would almost say it would break the alum cover before flexing the back plate. Just checked the back plate on a Ford Cobra pump it's .178 find it hard that it would flex over such a small area. jmo

5. one eyed willy

obviously ford is confident in the redesign if they are using it on a 662 hp factory car. Back plate is the only difference between prior pumps that break the gears. I'm not saying its the best fix, just letting it be known of the new design. I'm running billet gears and will continue to do so. I did order a 2013 gt500 pump, which I plan to harvest the back plate only for my current pump with billet gears. It would be awesome if MMR would look at a separate back plate option.