1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

3rd gen cam/bird computer options?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by ntrcptr90, Nov 23, 2003.

1. ntrcptr90

I have a buddy building a twin turbo 3rd gen T/A. He's using twin gn turbos on a mostly stock, low compression 350. He's going to try and blow through the tpi with it. I recommended getting a pro m universal maf(blow through) but what should he use for the computer. He was thinking just getting a chip, but i told him what i could try and find. He's using 50lber's also. He wants something like what AEM offers using a stock harness(mustangs) but being able to control everything. I mentioned maybe a piggyback as well. He was looking at holley's comander 950 i believe. What computers do they make for those cars? any help?:stickpk:

2. 10seclx

for the 3rd gens there really is no computer options available, your best bet would to try and go carb'd and do a blowthru setup. TPI is very fussy I know we did a 305 to 350 tpi swap in a buddies car and it was horrible for trying to get to run right! you could possibly try a custom chip!!!

3. Fast SN-95

What year is the car? Precision makes adapter harnesses for the FAST that plug in between the FAST and the stock harness. Depending on the application, there are a few other wires to run, and in some cases you need to splice different connectors onto the end of your stock harness.

Later,
    Shane

4. ntrcptr90

i will find out.:cool:

5. PDB

Hi, new guy here, but i've been into turdgens for as long as I remember......

If it's a MAF car('85-89) he won't need any other kind of MAF other than the stock one. If he wants to upgrade just for fun he can get one of the Wells units but it won't allow for easier tuning. A chip re-calibration will be mandatory.

If it's an SD car ('90-92) it will be more difficult to tune but still doable. Any of the better shops should be able to make it run properly if you can get the car to them. Some guys are switching to the Sy/Ty ECM which was used for the turbo 4.3's. I think it's a boost sensing unit but i'm not sure. I assume that it's a pretty complicated swap involving a harness change and some pin-out rearranging. The FAST/DFI option is also available but it'll cost quite a bit.

TPI isn't fussy. It just requires proper part selection and good tuning. Tell your buddy to check out www.z28.com if he hasn't already.

6. dman

we consider it fussy when you need a chip just to get the car running right after you drop in a K&N filter..:D :stickpk: . not to mention heads, cam, stroker motors and the almighty TURBO!!

when it comes to ECM's, our little EEC-IV is king of the shithouse!

:rockon:
    :rockon:
    ps. happy T-day

7. PDB

LOL:p

The MAF cars will take a pretty good bunch of upgrades and still run. I ran my '89 GTA which has a Lingenfelter top-end package using an ARAP bin which is basically a stock program. The idle was a little deranged but it ran pretty well. It wasn't near being optimised but it ran. The SD cars, on the other hand, will barely run without prom work when big mods are added.

8. ntrcptr90

I found out its an 88. Where can he find that harness shane to plug into the FAST system. i guess he is going speed density without after all he has already built the inlet pipe. Who has the best deals on FAST?

9. silverback

Recalibrated to what? The maf has about a 2.7" bore and only meters about 300-325hp worth of air. Anything past that and it won't know what's going on except that there is more air going through it then it can measure.

You can program it to work up to it's limit and then set the PE in the chip, but then you essentially end up with it metering the fuel till it hits the maf's metering limit and then anything above it the thing will just go full rich...

The 749 (sy/ty ecm) and the 730 (SD 3rd gen ecm) are identical except the 749 got a second injector driver. You can repin the wiring harness to match the 749 pinout and then pop a chip in burnt with the sy/ty code with the cylinders set to 8 and whatever injector constant you'll need and you will have something functional that will respond to boost (and you'd be able to use either ecm with that harness and chip). What it's limits are I really don't know... I've never seen a V8 running this setup with big injectors.

SD has more potential for working well then MAF

10. Fast SN-95

We sell FAST systems as well as the harness your looking for. I'll PM you some pricing.

Thanks,
    Shane

11. ntrcptr90

thanks shane
    ben