1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Harbor freight 212cc 6.5hp engine

Discussion in 'Turbo Motorcycles, Turbo Carts and other small engine turbos' started by M&M Turbochargers, Sep 5, 2015.

1. M&M Turbochargers

2. flyinhillbilly

I've been thinking about the same thing, but the two year warranty, slap all the stock stuff back on and trade it in if you nuke it and try again. I've heard those run pretty good if you port the head.
    When I bought my tig there (which I really like for what it costed) I bought the two year warranty and the manager to me he didn't care if I tied the leads to my bumper and dragged it there, as long as it wasn't burnt in a fire he would give me another one. I've had it 4 years now without a single malfunction, and I weld a LOT.

3. M&M Turbochargers

if they would warranty the engines that would be great!!!!! hell a guy could get 2 at a time lol but if they didnt 110.00 is cheap enough

how would a guy pull timing??

could the factory carb be used ??

the turbo would be really small

4. Turbo-Box

5. 38Pontiac

That's great.......I hope it turns out good !!

6. flyinhillbilly

I wonder if you could run E85 and just not worry about the timing? Swap to a colder plug maybe?

7. M&M Turbochargers

i did speak with the harbor freight guy an he said I could get the extended warranty for about 29.00 ,,so if I went through 2-3 wouldn't be a big deal

how do you control timing on a small engine like these???

8. flyinhillbilly

No idea, but I've been looking at hot rod parts for them and I know there's a way. Apparently the flywheel has a habit of becoming shrapnel at high rpm on those, a billet unit is about a bill.

9. M&M Turbochargers

i wouldn't think you would want to spin the engine fast unless the turbo was over sized and wouldn't spool at lower rpms

then gotta figure out oiling and how to make the carb work

was thinking about a sbc oil pump chain driven and a oil tank of some sort

10. flyinhillbilly

They're governed at like 3600 rpm from what I'm reading, and some guys say the fw is dangerous at anything past that, some seem to be having good success with them, so I really have no idea.

11. flyinhillbilly

I found one guy that used a turbo from a smart car and it seemed to work, I can't find the link now though. My Google fu is not so great.

12. 38Pontiac

Outboard motor VRO injection is free most everywhere. Also look at Harleys oil system.

13. flyinhillbilly

image.jpg #ad

Went to the swap meet today and scored this. It may be a little bit, but I think we're going to know the answer to the 212cc turbo question. On a side note, this thing is in great shape, still has all the guards and stickers intact. It's an old Baja doodlebug.

image.jpg #ad

14. M&M Turbochargers

very cool ,, if you want a cheapie turbo through cx i can save you a little money

i have a go cart i should start doing the same thing to

15. M&M Turbochargers

did harbor freight have the go cart and mini bike kits ?? i cant seem to find them

16. Mnlx

As long as its a float type carb, you should be able to make it work without too much trouble. We run stock timing on our sleds, just use some race gas..... for the small amount it uses its cheaper, and simpler than making a timing change. And unlike the crap pump gas nowdays it will store for a long time, and not cause carb issues if let sitting..... I run 1-2 year old race gas from the sled in my weed whip, and have yet to even look at the carb in 10+ years.... plus it smells good.

17. flyinhillbilly

I've been experimenting with the carb on the 97cc motor the minibike came with. It's identical to the one on the 212 predator. I have it running good on race gas now with a little better air flow from drilling holes in the muffler, and washing the air filter and very lightly oiling it. The turbo 212 is definitely happening, but I'm going to use the 97 as a learning tool until it gives out.

18. flyinhillbilly

We'll, as usual I've gotten distracted. I went to a swap meet today and scored a briggs animal clone with a header and k&n filter for $70. It's close enough to a 212 to start with IMO as I'm sure project lightnin' bug ( the bike is a doodlebug) 1.0 won't live very long prior to a thermonuclear malfunction anyway, so I figure I just saved myself $30. Anyway, that also means that I can ramp up the meyhem with the little 97cc motor that could. I've found a place that sells 100% nitromethane by the gallon, and after a little experimenting, I've discovered that by pulling the main jet and plugging the air bleeds with toothpicks that I can get it so rich it absolutely can not be started. I figure I'll pour in about an 85% load and let her eat. I think this thread is going to put the fun back in turbo projects for me, I'm really enjoying screwing with this goofy little minibike.

19. M&M Turbochargers

will nitro mix with gas?? things sound intereting!!! :corn:

20. flyinhillbilly

I'm going to mix it with methanol and a little lube. Hopefully it will work, but I don't care about this engine even a little bit, so who really cares.

bridal-shoal