1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

"Gold Dust" 97 GT 4v 88mm

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 1hcam, Nov 15, 2013.

1. 1hcam

I've been thinking of starting a build thread for a while now, so here it goes. I've been working on it for a while so I'll start from the beginning and try to fast forward. I bought this car for $1200 from a local guy. It was a steal! The only negative thing was the original leather seats weren't so hot and it was slow as hell! It was completely stock and the time slips would prove it. The first mod was a PI swap. I picked up an intake and stole my brothers 02' heads and cams. She ran better but still would get out of it's own way. So this is where the turbo came in to play.

With this being built on a budget and my first turbo experience it wasn't anything fancy. I called VS Racing and ordered a GT45, wastegate, BOV, and a/a intercooler and piping kit. Columbia River got a call for all the piping I would need to build headers and hot side. Everything turned out pretty good for a rookie. There are things I'd do differently on my next build but everything is working great so far.

Specs:
    97' stock shortblock
    02' stock heads cams and intake
    68# injectors
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    Megasquirt 3
    Cop conversion
    Headers- Mild Steel 1 5/8" primary
    Cross over- 2 1/2"
    Down pipe- 3 1/2"
    Cold side- 2 1/2"

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

2. 1hcam

Re: "Gold Dust" 97 GT

The T45 did not like 9lbs on pump gas and launching on 6lbs with 275's drag radials. I picked up a TH400 from the swap meet at NMRA Bradenton for $400. Guy said it was fresh never been ran and has a transbrake. I was a little worried but took a chance. I figured cores were going for $300, so why not. FTI hooked me up with a Ultra bell, flex plate, and converter. Come to find out the reason the guy unloaded the trans was it was a 4x4 trans. The output shaft was different than a 2 wheel drive. I pull the output shaft out and stuck it in the lathe and cut off the o-ring bosses and she's good to go. I cut off the stock bell and bolted on the new goodies and she works great. I made out like a bandit on that deal. The auto made a world of a difference! I also built a set of adjustable upper control arms for the rear end. These were a game changer.

Suspension:
    Team Z metal Matrix K mem and control arms
    Craigslisted Lakewood 90/10 struts
    14" 125 coil springs
    Upr lower control arms
    Stock rear springs with one coil cut off
    Home made upper control arms

This is the trans fluid out of the T45 when I removed it. Lol
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. 1hcam

At this point my best ET was 10.545 @ 125 with a 1.41 60'. The weather was something like 87 degrees and 80-90% humidity. Dust has never been on a dyno so I don't know how much power it makes, I just tune it on the street and at the track. This was on E85 and 14# with 3.73 gears @ 3300lbs with me in it. I originally had 3.27's in it, but Pete from Hughes talked me into switching to the 3.73's. I like driving it on the street better, but the Datalogs shows the boost peaking at my peak rpm as I cross the stripe. Boost doesn't flat line like it did with the 3.27's. I'm going to switch back after I make one more outing with the 3.73's.

[​IMG]#ad

Thanks to ghost03hemi he actually got a vid of me while filming his friend. Lucky me.

4. 1hcam

At this point it has been running low 11's and high 10's for a while. I'm in need of a roll cage in a bad way. This is where I'm at now. I bought a set of thru the floor subframe connecters from Wolfe Racecraft. They were pretty nice but I didn't like the rear outriggers so I picked up some more square tubing and cut out a new set. Once I had those in it's time for a cage. I was going to purchase a cage from Wolfe as well, but I decided to keep to the home built theme and bought a tubing bender. I've always wanted one and talked my little brother to go in on it with me. So yes I know I could have just bought a kit and been done with it or have sent it to a shop but there's a pride thing envolved I guess. Lol

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

What a pain in the ass to weld.
    [​IMG]#ad

LITTLEMAGS likes this.
  5. Turbo Drag Radial

unique build

6. 1hcam

We bought a JD2 model 32 tubing bender. It's pretty sweet and works good. Decided to go with 1 5/8 .120 tubing. I was going to go with chromoly but didn't know how it was going to turn out and didn't want to waste some expensive tubing. Its all tacked in and started welding it a couple nights ago. Slowly making progress.

I'm sure the HOA loves this.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. StabbinStevem

That is a CLEAN mustang. Keep up the good work!

8. mustang-junky

Subscribing. Nice looking cage.

Jess

9. 1hcam

Thanks guys. I did a little welding last night and dropped the cage thru the floor. Today I'm going to try to finish welding what I have left so I can put a coat of paint on the top of the cage. I would love to finish the cage this weekend so I can let my little brother clean up some wiring for the Megasquirt. I'm itching to get it back to the track since we have some decent weather now.

[​IMG]#ad

10. 1hcam

Didn't quite finish but got a lot done this weekend. I finish welding what I could while the cage was thru the floor and got the top of the cage painted before it was put back into place. Got the rest of the cage welded and started finishing up the subs. Driver sub fully welded just need to finish pass side sub and make 4 gussets for the rocker bars. So close but seems like its so far :) I still need to figure out what I'm going to do for a window net. I'll have to figure it out so I can pick something up when I get paid.

11. racesloth

Very nice! Good luck. Seems like a very dependable and fun car...

12. 1hcam

Thanks. It's been good to me to this point, but I'm about to start leaning on it. I think depenabilty is about to go out the window :) I'm waiting to see what kind of bonus I get to decide wether I will finish up my 4v or throw some used forged rods and pistons (I have laying around) in this 2v and let her have it.

Thanks ROY for all the pics and insight on your ride. It helped!

13. Roy

Looks good. I gotta get me a bender like that. If you see anymore clean Mustang Gts for $1200 be sure to let me know!

14. 1hcam

^Thanks Roy. I caught the guy that owned the car in a bad situation. He wanted like $3k for it and wouldn't budge. I called him a couple weeks later and made the deal. I met up with him 15min after I called and met him at a gas station. I thought we were going to get mugged, he was carrying the title around in the glove box and went from not moving on the price to taking a low ball offer. lol

I should have built my brothers cage first. I figured out how to do the pillar bars to make them stay tigher to the chassis. Oh well, it doesn't look bad it just would have looked a little more professional I guess. My brother is starting to push me, he wants me to get started on his car. Full Cage AND complete turbo setup. I need a break. :)

Got the subs finished last night, just need to get some 1/8" plate to make the gussets for the rocker bars and I'll be finished.

15. Roy

Is your brothers car a Mustang also?

16. 1hcam

Yes. 2002 GT convertible. 4.6 4v with b heads and 98' cobra cams and intake. When he hurt his NA 2v we salvaged the block, forged I beams, and forged pistons. Just threw in another cast crank we had laying around. I had pretty good luck with the el cheapo GT45 so he bought the 88mm version. Should be interesting.

17. 1hcam

Well for the most part I'm finished with the cage. Just need to make some tabs to go on the cross bar for a seat support and the window net. I talked to the chassis inspector today and hopefully he can take a look at it the day after Thanksgiving. Hopefully it passes. Lol I tried to get some pics of the welds. Don't beat me up :)

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

18. mustang-junky

I'd be happy with those welds.

Jess

19. 1hcam

Next order of business is the dash. I've gutted out the dash and removed the heater core to try to lighten things up. Unbolting all the steel in the dash made a big difference. I'm still going to use the factory steering column to keep the ignition and turn signals though. I'm going to make a panel to mount all my gauges and switches in the center of the dash.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. 1hcam

I made a panel to put all my gauges in the center of the dash. I junked my radio. There was one in there but I haven't turned it on once this year so out it went. I cut the ends off the original dash support and used them. Suprisingly it's pretty solid. I may just wait until the wiring is done before I finish painting the cage. I don't know I might get a wild hair.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad