1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

76 Vega back half car, 355, Th350, 9", 2450 lbs, going twin turbo.....

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Rickracer, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Rickracer

Well, I've been hanging around for a while, accumulating parts and knowledge, I guess it's about time I started a project thread. So far, the parts list looks like this: got a pair of T3/T4 turbos, 58mm, .60/.63 A/R, got a pair of side mount headers from Diemos (CHEAP, :D thanks again...), got an MSD 6530 6AL2, HVC II coil, already had a 85551 distributor, already running a BG carb on corn, gonna do the Hangar 18 mods. Also got a BG 400 pump, -12 hose and fittings for cell to pump, -10 hose and fittings from pump to regulator, existing -8 will now be the return hose, just bought a 13202 regulator, so here goes with a few pics.....

Initial mockup pics...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I didn't like the position of the turbos much, no way my hood would go on like they wer, so i cut the flanges off and started tweaking a bit...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

:coolio:

2. Rickracer

My old Hooker headers and the rack and pinion steering required a 3 piece steering shaft with 3 u-joints in it, by relocating the firewall bearing down and in a little, now I can go with a 2 piece with only 2 joints.
    Don't worry about the shaft the way it looks, it's only mockup, I will replace what you see here with a single piece of 3/4" chrome moly.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Got the turbo positions finalized, now my hood closes all the way....

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I think I may be able to get it all underhood except for a little bit of the charge pipe, and if I angle the carb hat down just past the float adjustment, and plan my cold side piping carefully, I may be able to get it all under hood....

3. RyanR

Looking good..... still gonna run the spray?

4. Twin Turbo Skylark

I love the project! Are you using an intercooler or water/meth injection? If it were my car I would swap out the taller intake manifold and run a e brock RPM or something to be able to hide it all under the hood...

It took a lot of work to get my twin setup to work with a flat hood on my Skylark but it fits just barely... It will be worth it though to have that sleeper look!!!!

The only other thing I have to add is make sure you use the same size return as supply for the fuel line or your bypass fuel pressure regulator might not be able to send all the extra fuel back to the tank when you are at idle or low throttle.

5. Rickracer

My best pass to date was a 6.50 @ 107 on about a 60~75 shot (E85 power ratings on the NOS jets are a little fuzzy). My plan is to go high 5s, if the turbos only get me to low low 6s, I may spray it a little to reach my goal....:grin:
    I'm gonna start with the -8 for return because I already have it, if I have problems with pressure creep, then I'll spend the $$ to upsize the return hose size. Being that it's mostly an 1/8th mile drag car and I'm running on E85, I have no plans to run an intercooler right now. I also have a "relatively" virgin P/G trans I'm gonna start building soon.

6. Deimos

you know for 10 bucks plus shipping I will send you my comp engineering steering column kit. For another 10 I will throw in the moroso quick release steering wheel kit. BTW you almost got mikes nitrous kit that would have been very very bad. Keep up the good work.

7. Rickracer

I don't really need em but I'll take em, wouldn't have been that bad for me to get Mikes's nitrous kit, I could have just sent the system on down to him, :2thumbs:
    When you get a total, let me know, :thumbsup: , you still got my address? Your paypal should still be in my contacts....

8. Deimos

The price is right lol and the shafts are chromemoly so I figured I would put it out there.

9. Rickracer

I felt like crap yesterday, had a cold all weekend, and no helper on Monday, so I decided to take a "vacation day" yesterday, and work on the Vega. Got a LOT done. :thumbup:

Got the BG400 pump and new -12 pickup fitting and hose installed:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Two return lines, one from the pump itself, and one from the regulator up front:

[​IMG]#ad

This is the old -8 feed line, now it's the return from the Aeromotive 13202 regulator:

[​IMG]#ad

Got the new -10 Pushlock Plus hose routed through the subframe connector. I had the battery cable and the nitrous
    line in there before, but there is not enough room for them now, so they will be re-routed outside the subframe connector. The main reason for putting the fuel hoses inside is the NHRA/IHRA requirement for the fuel hoses to be enclosed in steel in the area of the flexplate/flywheel area, the battery cable and nitrous hose do not have the same requirement.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Aeromotive regulator, mounted on the motor plate:

[​IMG]#ad

Got the -10 Pushlock Plus oil return lines done on the turbos:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

10. Rickracer

Re: 76 Vega back half car, 355, Th350, 9", 2450 lbs, going twin turbo.....

A few shots of the top of the motor, you can see the -8 Pushlock hose from the regulator to the carb, and the -4 braided hose to the N2O solenoid, the -4 braided hose to the F/P gauge, and the braided -3 oil supply hoses to the turbos.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Getting closer..... :cool:

11. Deimos

Get those.parts installed?

12. Rickracer

I fired it up the first time last Thursday, the fuel pump was leaking BIGTIME, and I had an oil leak at the pan rail. Ordered a fuel pump seal kit later that day and went over the pan bolts the next morning. Resealed the fuel pump and got it re-installed yesterday morning. So I was able to run it for a bit and get the timing set. I haven't been able to get my laptop to recognize the USB-serial adapter so I can program my MSD box yet, and the carb is acting a bit lean, but that could be the 40° timing. I need to get the laptop working and get the wideband installed so I can control the timing and see the fuel mixture. I had gotten a Delphi 3 bar MAP sensor from the Speed shop next door for $75, (he owes me $200, I sold him my old disc brake posi rear), then found the SAME ONE on Ebay for $23, SHIPPED, so he's getting that one back this morning, and I hope he's finally got my cold side tubing today as well, (2 90°s, 2 180°s, and silicone sleeves to connect to the turbos and carb hat). He told me a couple weeks ago that he had that stuff in stock, then when he looked, he didn't, he ordered it, and it was supposed to be here last Thursday, then Monday, yada yada yada. Says it will definitely be here today.....I'm ready to test my aluminum welding chops and get this cold side done. :coolio:

A few pics:
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I'll get some more pics and video up later.... :coolio:

13. M&M Turbochargers

lookin good!!!!

14. Twin Turbo Skylark

Good work! What do you expect race weight to be? Should be a lot of fun!

15. Rickracer

It was 2450 before, might have added 50 lbs worth of turbos, fuel hose, and exhaust. Got the cold side sealed up Saturday, but the carb seems to be spitting fuel out from under the carb hat, so I need to see what's going on there...no burnouts yet....

16. waybad

I like it!! keep up the good work!!

17. Rickracer

Needs A LOT more work, but it's coming along....

TRZ did the merge...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Even 3 to 5 psi can crush brass floats, the one in the bowl is stock, the other two came out of my carb Friday, now replaced by the nitrophyl floats...

[​IMG]#ad

http://youtu.be/9dTiXWoaeds

http://youtu.be/VELeVDISxro

18. Rickracer

Little update: New stainless 3" turbo exhaust covers for external waste gates, new 38mm waste gates, and new 3" stainless downpipes, and working on some boost referenced power valves, :coolio:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

:cool:

19. Twin Turbo Skylark

Great Job, it sounds really good!

20. Rickracer

Almost ready for the track:

[video=youtube_share;dETYVhO1AJU]http://youtu.be/dETYVhO1AJU[/video]