1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Plasti-Dip GT-R

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by stangman9897, Dec 25, 2012.

1. MONTEGOD7SS

Only Car Craft? Surely as nice as it is it should be on the cover of Dupont Registry. If it's not you need to spend $100k more on paint the job, because you clearly don't give a damn about your car enough to make sure it is absolutely the best. Sure, go ahead and put a shitty $10k paint job on it, it'll still look like shit compared to the $250k hot rod. It's all relative, but I guess you can't see the forest for the trees.

2. stangman9897

3. mustang-junky

Finally warmed up enough to do my Plastic-dip experiment. I wanted to see how my rims would look black without doing anything permanent, or hard to reverse like spraying them with a rattle can. I suppose the stuff worked in that I saw how the wheels looked black, but the plastic-dip did not stay on correctly.

When I put the stuff on it was 75 degrees with low humidity, I used the cleaner that they sell, and waited the recommended time before re-coats. The stuff shrank off of my wheels first time out in the sun. Not much on the fronts, but it is real bad on the backs. Not sure if it is because of the polished aluminum was too smooth for it to stick/grip, don't know. It grabbed real good on the spokes.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Took my six year old son to his baseball practice in the car. :) He was flying high when all his friends saw us coming. Not sure whats up with the color of the car, must have been the sun.

Plastic-dip in this case = fail.

Jess

4. reef

if you buy the plastidip in regular 1 gallon or quart cans, thin it and spray it in an HVLP gun it lays down just like any other satin paint...i have seen several high end cars done like this in person and they looked great...

its a matter of opinion but like anything else, including a real paint job, if its prepped and done half ass or incorrectly it will look bad..doesnt matter if its plastidip or real paint..

here is dipyourcar's youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/DipYourCarcom?feature=fvst

5. mustang-junky

I used their wheel kit which comes in spray cans. I wanted to give it the best chance at working, that is why I bought their cleaner and followed their application directions. I am not sure what else I could have done to make it turn out better.

Jess

6. Turbohwagon

Bump for broken fender and scratch hidden by a sticker, and painted bumpers.

7. stangman9897

LMFAO , I fucking love it. Live & learn. he showed you it tuned to shit and still going to bash him. lol

8. mustang-junky

Only thing I can think of is that the wheels are polished. I am not a painter, but it would seem that if you were to paint a polished wheel you would need to scuff up the wheel, or use an etching primer first. I tried the Plastic-dip with the idea of seeing how the rims would look without any permanent mods.

Jess

9. reef

there may have been some residual moisture in the rim itself and when it heated up it caused the dip to lift..i know guys going 140mph in the 8th mile with plastidip rims with no peeling or lifting.

10. stangman9897

How do you run a turbo with the 2-4 setup. lol.

11. mustang-junky

Same way you do, two different mustangs. :)

Jess

12. stangman9897

LOL , just checking Bro . :grin: how do you see over the bug catchers , cool looking setup. Always wanted a big ass 671 sticking out of a hood. lol

13. mustang-junky

A 6-71 or even a 8-71 sticking out of the hood would be awesome. Major coin though, and having a simple N/A car is nice. Bug catchers are something different, it does take some getting used to driving with the air cleaners there, these are the shorter velocity stack that K&N sells. They can't be much worse than some of those diesel trucks with a 6" stack sticking through the hood.

Jess

14. MONTEGOD7SS

Yeah, fixed.

15. Kerrdogg

Lots of plasti dip cars around here, Fonzi's place (Ehhhh) aka "Dip your car" is only 8 miles a way or so, our customers are right next door to his shop and said the guy is rollin from this stuff. I was going to do the Z in it but I really am not a fan of flat look paint so I talked my painter buddy into spraying the car with some single stage instead, material cost is about the same. Around here we don't have any $250 car paint guys, Maaco is the cheapest and though they advertise $500 I would say the average is closer to $1k... The body shop next door average $7k and they hate the Z being 15 feet from the door Bentlys roll in and out of :).

16. slowboat

84 vert w/ plasti dip ponys.

IMG950009.jpg #ad

IMG950196.jpg #ad

17. stangman9897

Yep , i was going to do my car but as fast as it is it would just peel off the first time i nailed it. :grin:

Having painted cars most of my life this shit just doesn't set well with me. If i had a cheap roller with a LS motor in it and was a track only car i might look at it but would probably still just spray it with paint or wrap it. I have seen the vid's where they peel it off of a good paint job and it fucks up the paint maybe not all of them but i wouldn't take the chance.

T shirt.jpg #ad

18. slowboat

I can respect that. Funny part is you need to have a little paint know how to lay this suff on decently...go figure. That was $10 to do all 4 wheels. They sell the black at home depot and that car is my friends beater. No way we'd try it on something of value...lol.

19. sean

Been playing around with the plastidip stuff. It for sure isn't paint, but is also much easier to work with (at least for me). I'm no paint and body guy, and have tried to get a few local guys to work this clunker into there shops for real body work and paint without success. Got tired of it sitting around and said fuck it. Lets get it back together running.

Drove it like this for years
    [​IMG]#ad

Cobbled some body work and bondo on it
    [​IMG]#ad

Roughed in with primer
    [​IMG]#ad

Spraying the dip on
    [​IMG]#ad

Mostly finished. Took and evening and part of another day to tape, spray and put the trim back to this point. Not sure how long it will last, or if I will try other colors. This is a beater junkyard twin turbo deal, just for fun. So went from ugly to still ugly LOL!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. stangman9897

Looks pretty good , only deal spraying it over the primer it will not want to peel off like it would on a slick paint job but i guess that might be a good thing if you plan on leaving it like it is.