1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Will this wastegate location work?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by BreakDancer, Aug 2, 2012.

1. BreakDancer

What do you guys think? Will it work here or should I try to move it somewhere else.

IMAG0333.jpg #ad

IMAG0334.jpg #ad

IMAG0335.jpg #ad

2. schmuckingham

Closer to the merge the better but I dont know what kind of space your working with

3. half-fast

Not sure i like the angle on it but if its 44mm or bigger probably would do fine

mine is on the cross over right at the outlet of the drivers side manifold and turbo is mounted to pass side manifold and it holds the boost right at 8 pounds no prob

4. BreakDancer

It's a 50mm. It fits good here and gives a nice straight shot to the downpipe. But the angle is worse than 90 think I'm gonna have to go back and rethink this one easier to fix now than when everything is welded up.

5. M&M Turbochargers

looks like the other bank connects just below the wg correct??????

6. BreakDancer

Yes the passanger side will be under the gate.

7. M&M Turbochargers

i think at a very minimum you would need to angle the waste gate up to catch the exhaust as it passes by

8. turbostang500

X2!

That is kind of a bad angle but the gate is fairly large. Best to straighten it out a little.

9. M&M Turbochargers

a diagram i stole might help you out looks to me you have the lower right pic going on

wastegateplacement.jpg #ad

10. Jeff88coupe

So if I'm looking at the pictures right..the waste gate is mounted on the crossover pipe? So it will not "see" any of the exhaust flow from the driver's side header? Not sure of your combo or goals...but I don't think that placement will work very well.

I got my 338 sbf BWS475 combo running last year using a ching chong s&s autochrome 60mm gate that was mounted to the merge just below the turbo on the hot side via a 45 and 90* bend. I had pretty bad boost creep with that setup. A 12# spring would creep up to 17-18# by 6K rpms or so. It almost acted like a mechanical boost controller since it wouldn't let me leave on more than 12# off the transbrake..but then would creep up to 17-18# by 1.5-2 sec into the run. I have since switched to 2 46mm precision gates mounted right off crossover pipe just past the header to crossover pipe V-band flanges. The exhaust now flows right at the w/g valves....no more boost creep.

11. half-fast

heres a pic of how far away from the turbo my wastegate is and works fine- its not mounted in the pic but like i said right at the exit of the drivers side manifold is where i put it

[​IMG]#ad

12. BreakDancer

I would say I'm deep in the Not Recomended zone currently. It's gonna take some thinking to mount it higher and clear the front core support I have already cut more than I care to to fit the turbo. I'm headed out now if I can't get it on the merge I'm gonna try to 90 it on the crossover. :welder:

13. blown385

Can you do this ?

Dont laugh at my drawing . :raz:

IMAG0334.jpg #ad

14. half-fast

Your turbo has a red rocket hahaha ya that would work way better

15. BreakDancer

I tryed like hell. It's hard to tell in the pic but moving it up there puts it into the radiator I have the radiator moved as far forward as possible. However with a little more frame hacking I was able to move it to the other side. Its not the perfect spot but it looks like it will work and everthing still clears. I will also still have a straight shot to the downpipe. I was able to use the carbide bit in the die grinder to get everything really smooth and blended. The harbor freight die grinder did not make it LOL.

IMAG0338.jpg #ad

IMAG0339.jpg #ad

IMAG0337.jpg #ad

16. BreakDancer

This is probably a better pic

IMAG0340.jpg #ad

17. turbostang500

That will probably work a little bit better.

I think you would still be better off venting both exhaust banks instead of just one but ya gotta do what you can. As long as you arent gonna try and run low boost numbers I think you should be fine. I have the same ewg and could get my car down to 4psi with a small exhaust housing. I doubt you will see boost creep above 10 psi.

18. BreakDancer

I would like to stay right at 10psi no higher it seems like trouble starts around 12psi for iron head guys.

19. turbostang500

I have bern running 11 and planned on pushing my luck but blew the t5 so maybe next yr.

20. BoostedBadBoy

Break what is this setup going in? I'm curious because I see you mentioned no room. Radiator and such, was thinking maybe welding some tabs on radiator and pushing it out some in the core support may give you a lil more room and put it into the nose more? But this might be out of the question not sure what your building. Just some thoughts. lol