1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo timer...for oil return pump

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by stockgto, Apr 19, 2012.

1. stockgto

Was looking for a way to keep my oil return pump on my rear mounted turbo setup running for an extra minute after I shut the car down.

Reason being is I recently had a issue with oil seaping out of my exhaust side and out of the tail pipe.

I took my charge pipe off and found nothing in the cold side or in the compressor housing. I was told that's usually a scavenge issue.

I installed a check valve on teh return line to keep oil from flowing backwards after the pump is off cause when I shut the car of and took the drain line off a shit ton of oil came pouring out from the line which would cause puddling in the turbo.

With check valve installed that is mostly eliminated but I still have a 2 foot section from the turbo to the pump that can hold oil, and on top of that the feed line drains a tiny bit of oil into the turbo after shut down.

My main goal here is to scavenge the left over feed oil and any leftover out of the drain after shut down without having a manual switch on the pump or keying the car on/off 10 times after shut down.

Is there any simple timers like a turbo timer (but cheaper) that I can use to keep the pump on for a set time after the 12v trigger source to my pumps relay is turned off?

Here's a pic of the setup, the check valve is on the pumps outlet cause I wasn't sure if it would affect the priming of the pump if it was directly on the turbo drain or on the pump inlet it's self. The valve cracks at 15 psi I believe.

[​IMG]#ad

Thanks

2. turbocoronet

Try building a small sump for the oil to settle into that way there is a place for the oil to go instead of backing up. That will cure your problem and be one less widget to buy and possibly fail.

infinity (4).JPG #ad

3. stockgto

Yeah, a few people have recommended that too.

I thought about it as a possibility. I'm gonna see if just the check valve I installed worked which I think it did we will see the only time will tell.

I just wanted to add the timer so it can take care of it after I leave the car, at least then the turbo and that 2 foot section of hose from the turbo to the pump will be clear of oil and all the oil will be stored on the other side of the check valve after the pump.

I took the drain off my turbo and ran the car for a few minutes, I shut it down and ran back to watch how much actually drains after shut down and I could literally hold it all in the palm of my hand and it all drained out in about a minute or so.

What did you make that sump out of? or did you fab it up custom?

4. M&M Turbochargers

looks like square tubing

5. mtrain

I recently had that problem with my twin turbo remote setup. It was only one turbo that did it.

I wasn't able to get either turbo to clock right a 6-o-clock so, in other words, both turbos were clocked at about 5.

Anyway, I just went ahead, and rebuilt both turbo's and now the problem is gone. Dry as can be.

Also, I got the rebuild kit with the 360 deg thrust bearing upgrade for $80 each from Works Turbo in Alabama, which was cheaper than other places had them.

6. stockgto

Well it seems the check valve on the return fixed my issue no oil yet it's as dry as can be.

the other day it sat over night and the tail pipe had a little river running down it and onto the driveway.

I just checked it this morning and nothing so we are good.

Someone else on the gto forum suggested a ELK-960 delay timer. Its a small circuit board that you can program to switch a relay back on after the main switch 12v is shut off. It goes from 1-60 seconds or 1-60 minutes.

7. stangman9897

8. stevieturbo