1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

project Mullet Hairdrier

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by ashford, Dec 29, 2011.

1. ashford

im helping out a good friend of mine boost his 83 z28 at my shop. he wanted me to post progress and pics of it.

here are the goodies

83 z28 $800
    junkyard 5.3 $375 shipped to the door
    y2k 70mm turbo freebie
    tci th350 with good internals $1000
    b&m 9" 2400 breakaway with baloon plate $ 350?
    cxracing 4" inter-cooler $200
    jgs 50mm wastgate traded him for some work
    ms3 built by me $600
    prothane motor mounts
    bmr crossmember, lca's and some other stuff
    frozen boost ptfe hoses and ends
    ebay lokar knockoff dipstick and starter
    professional produce fuel rails
    early pinto R&P

sx fuel pump(temporary til he gets his fuelab)

and a shitpile of homade stuff

heres the car
    [​IMG]#ad

here is the turdbo
    [​IMG]#ad

fitted the crosmember and lowers the manufactures said to use the early pinto rack and figure out the ends for yourself( real fuckin nice of them) what i found mostly on the internet was people using heim joints on a tapered stud. didn't much care for that. so i found moogs website that listed all parts by dimensions. after 3 hrs of looking i found oem replacement parts that will works. inner tie rods from a shadow and outer tie rods for a camry. don't laugh it works and is easy to get replacements. for the steering shaft i used the original shaft cut the ends on and welded on appropriate u joints
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

ready to go in for the final time.(i hope)
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

well the upside down passernger side wasnt gonna work so he bought a non A/C heater box
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

i made the hotside out of 4 2.5 90's and 2 3.5 90's
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

time to put it outside till he gets more parts money, radiator, cold side piping, wiring bundles, more 3.5 tubing and other shit i can't remember cause im tired, shit im gonna go to bed.

2. maverick75

Where did you get the engine from? $400 shipped? damn!

3. ashford

pams auto, used my business account

4. 80mmvert

Awesome budget build!

5. BlownShovel

Now of we could locate the ode to the camaro video

Subscribing

6. ashford

i got it up and running, it seems quite strong, im very amazed actually for a stock engine. over the winter it has developed a rust "racing stripe" down the roof. i keep telling him to leave the body alone and not to paint it. it would be more fun that way.

ill try and get some pics up of it later.

7. Beatdown Z

LSx engines love boost! How many pounds you pushing through it right now?

8. ashford

right now about 5-6. need to get the thing licensed then i can tune it then boost it more.

a few more dismal pics of it. forgot to snap some of the racing stripes and finised pics under the hood.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. Beatdown Z

Same intercooler I have on my truck. Those cheap POS's work great!

10. ashford

Well he has it insured and has been driving it around. Made him a seat bracket for his sport seat on the driver's side. He said he is really happy with it. Now need to finish the exhaust and install a four point cage. He also put on different rim's and tire's because the one's he had on before would just spin and it was a pain in the ass to turn with that manual rack. Hope to get some more picture's and possibly a video of it later today.

11. ashford

here are some updated picture's

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. ashford

i welded up some exhaust for him, he bought 5 90's and 10ft of 3.5 pipe. it was just enough to get the job done(could of used another 30 degrees). from the down pipe to the rear bumper. i figured the exhaust would of quieted it down from just a down pipe but hell no the fuckin thing bellers now. hes got a 3.5 bullet muffler on the way. got about 100miles on the thing now running at 5-6psi boost. installed the boost controller today and am having a hard time getting it past 10 psi. it will build to past 10 at the top of second and hold in third, its wierd to me because i sold him the wastegate because i couldnt hold my pressure below 8 psi on a bigger turbo. the wasegate spring pressure is about 5psi and i am using the same boost controller valve i have in my race car being run with the ms3. the duty cycle on the valve is bouncing of of max to get it to 10psi. im thinking the wasegate spring+ controller isnt enough to hold the backpressure. what do you guys think?

forgot to get the pics from him and will post some when i get time.

13. 87gn@tahoe

That is white trash fresh. Lov'n it!

14. denmah

parked in the yard fuck yeah

15. Mustangbrad94gt

you and Denmah should get along , he likes to get shit done, lol

16. ashford

he boo-booed his rear end, it whines like an unpaid hooker. he dropped some cash on it and bought a moser fabed 9 inch housing, axles and posi for it. i have a center section he can put his guts in and use. we'll try to have it done next weekend

17. ashford

he ran it at the track for the first time today. im actually impressed a completely stock engine ran this good and runs like something you would borrow to grandma. his best of the day was a 12.07@117 with traction issues

18. ashford

ahh forgot to add that it now has a ford 9 with 3.00 gears and summit posi
    [​IMG]#ad

19. BlownShovel

:2thumbs: drives like a stocker and runs when the loud pedal is mashed. Still just 5-6 lbs of boost? what was the best 60'

20. ashford

firsrt run of the day was at 5-6 pounds and ran a 12.6@110
    then bumped it to 10 pounds. he never saw below a 2 second 60 foot. it is the first event of the year(a street legal) at the track and it was just stripped this spring. i went to take my nhra license along with 2 other guys, they hot lapped us and got all of our runs in in 15 min, just before the main event. lets just say i had to do a bunch of backpedaling.