1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

360 CamperVan Turbo Build

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by CamperVanMan, Jul 7, 2015.

1. CamperVanMan

Hello all,

I recently bought a 1986 Dodge B250 CamperVan, unfortunately it has the 318 in it which just doesn't have enough power for us. We spend quite a bit of time in the bush on big rough mountain roads in British Columbia. I plan to change out the 318 for a 360 this September and am researching the best way to get the 360 putting out the way we want which is mostly low range and mid. This van will also be getting a small lift and 4x4 conversion so we are building the engine with that in mind.

I am not new to engine modding but I have very little experience with Turbos so this is a new thing for me. We plan on rebuilding the 360 so rebuilding specifically with a turbo in mind is not a problem though we do want to keep it fairly cheap. This engine needs to be very reliable and durable as we sometimes spend weeks at a time out in the backcountry, often times 100 miles away from any type of town or community.

Do you guys think doing this 360 with a turbo(s) would fit our requirements?

Edit: I am also curious about compression with the turbo. We do lots of steep long descents and need good compression so not burning out the brakes. I think 9:1 would be max on 87 octane?

Parts List In Progress As I Learn

Intake: No idea yet.
    Cam: Keep stock or change to a RV style cam?
    Turbo(s): No idea yet
    Fuel System: No idea but it will be carbureted.
    Pistons: 360 notoriously low compression so would like to change out some piston for more compression. No idea yet on which ones.
    Carb: Edelbrock 650 setup with blowthrough.
    ARP Head Bolts
    Felpro Gaskets

To be continued............

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Prine

I do....think a 360 would fit your requirements.

Intake: Torker 340, or Weiand X-celerator, SINGLE PLANE
    CAM : Keep it Stock
    Turbo: Ebay GT45 - 68mm compressor T4
    Boost: under 10 psi
    Pistons: STOCK.....leave the crank, rods, pistons alone....If the bores are clean...I wouldnt touch the rotating assembly.
    Carb: sure...use a Edelbrock....they work.
    ARP head bolts
    Cometic Head Gaskets

Fuel system? Use a Walbro 255....intank, or external.....with a Mallory 4309 FPR....3/8 feed and return.

What can you expect out of this?

450hp on 6 psi........550hp on 12 psi.....and 600hp at 14+

Need more than that?

Go Bigger Turbo