1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

K&N RU2510 filter restrictive? (small 3.5 filter)

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by foxfan88, Dec 4, 2009.

1. foxfan88

K&N RU2510 filter restrictive? (small 3.5 filter)

Ive seen alot of mustang guys run this filter, heres the link. http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RU-2510
    I cant seem to find any airflow ratings on this filter. I emailed K&N and havent heard back. This looks awful small. I did a WOT test with and without it, didnt seem to notice a real difference (maybe a small one) my car at the moment is also at 8 psi so its not like i am moving a whole lot of air yet. I plan to turn the boost up to 12-13 psi and i fear this small filter may leave some power on the table. I can probably tinker around and get 1-1.5" longer filter on the car.

If anyone has a link or info on the flow ratings of various K&N filters that would help me out alot, i cant seem to find any anywhere.

Thanks.

2. Stav

Re: K&N RU2510 filter restrictive? (small 3.5 filter)

Ridiculously small. Even some of the biggest cone filters K+N or anyone do, 6in inlet and 8in base, and 12in+ long, start becoming restrictive (ie you will see negative pressure between filter and turbo) at about 700 horse, so that one, damn, dread to think.

Starting to be restrictive and limit on power is 2 very different things though, but its not good unless you HAVE to, as your lowering turbo effiencincy, so more heat and less power.

Its why a lot of people, see it a lot with Jap cars, run a metal turbo-filter pipe, as the filters too small so the pipe will suck shut if rubber/silicone.
    For me a silicone or rubber pipe is a good indicator for you, if it sucks shut on boost your filter is too small.

3. metalmusiclver

Top. I just bought this filter for my turbo due to limited space. What's more restrictive. A screen that distrupts the air vortex or a small filter?

4. brianj5600

Maybe you can test with both?

5. Chuck L