1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

86 T-type WH1 build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by silver4.6gt, Oct 12, 2010.

1. silver4.6gt

I'm not using them. There aren't even holes in the heads for those bolt holes. It was in the gasket and I made the flange from the gasket.

2. Nice Chevelle

Top notch build !! Thanks for all detailed posts and pics. I am sure the finished car is gonna be exactly as you want.
    :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

3. silver4.6gt

Finished the efi conversion, plenum and throttle cable setup.
    [​IMG]#ad

4. nova1

Looks sweet, I love the elbow

5. Twiceblown351

WOW. Mike Its really looking Good. I need to come over there and see it. Oh yea thanks for the Battery switch T handles. They look Great as always.

6. TDmkr496

Man this thing is sweet as hell!! You've got my gears turning!!

7. silver4.6gt

It's been a long time since my last update. I've been working on other peoples projects and finally finished them all.

I bought a universal radiator from summit. It needed a little work to fit as nice as I wanted it to. I had to cut the drivers side tank to clear the core support and I angled the filler neck like the stock radiator. Now It's as close to a drop in replacemet as you can get for the money I spent.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. silver4.6gt

I also finished the headers that I started a few months back. They ended up going to a guy in canada.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

9. silver4.6gt

I sold the stage 2 heads, intake, valve covers, etc... that I posted a few posts back. I switched back to productions style heads to be legal for more classes. I also didn't think the stage 2 heads I had were going to hold up well to big boost, they were just old used circle track parts and had been milled a lot (thin decks). So I bought a set of TA performance heads, champion intake and supporting parts to go on top of my stage 2 block. The motor is currently at the machine shop.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I also bought a turbo. Precision billet 71hpq.
    [​IMG]#ad

10. silver4.6gt

Next project is the oil pan.
    I cut this flange a few months ago. I'm using the red peterson filter as part of the external pickup assembly.
    [​IMG]#ad

I did most of this yesterday on my day off. The pan holds just over 7 quarts and doesn't hang any lower that the crossmember.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I still have to weld teh sump in, but I'm waiting on another piece of tubing for the pickup. I have a piece of aluminum hinge that I bought to use as a trap door, but I can't decide whether I want to use it or not.
    [​IMG]#ad

11. 87gn@tahoe

Man I love your fab work. Simply amazing. Glad you're staying with a Buick heart.

I had a chance to buy a perfect 37,000 mile '86 WH1 for $12k a couple years ago and passed it up because I will still reeling from my '87 GN nightmare... what a mistake :doh:

12. HOTMOPR

Amazing build! Great job!!

13. slow95

very nice build :2thumbs:

14. silver4.6gt

Thanks for all the compliments.

Headers are fit and tacked. I want to check them on my TA heads before I fully weld them and start the crossover and merge, but the heads are at the machine shop.

Passenger side
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Drivers side. It is very much like the ATR header, but I'll be putting a v-band right at the collector on the passenger side and the merge going into the turbo will be completely removeable. I'll be able to swap the merge between a 3 bolt and T4 flange setup and keep the everything from the collector back the same.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

15. silver4.6gt

Oil pan is finished. I used the red filter a few posts up and turned that into the pickup/ filter. I looked and looked for a -16 filtered fitting and couldn't find one, so I had to sort of make my own.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Inside the pan showing the trap door and pickup. The pickup is the piece of 1.5" tube with two slots cut in the bottom.
    [​IMG]#ad

I also installed my intercooler. I was going to build one from a core, but I bought this new in the box for just a little more than the core would have cost.
    [​IMG]#ad

16. racesloth

That is som fantastic fab work - hat is off to you...

17. geno

I still want a set off those valve covers.. :bow:

18. digitalsolo

Beautiful fab work! Thanks for posting all the detailed pictures. :)

19. jfive

Awesome work, and thanks for sharing the details. Do you still have the elbow you fabbed up, or did you sell it allready?

20. silver4.6gt

More machined parts. I made an alternator bracket last weekend.

[​IMG]#ad

This weekends project is to get the bumpers and bumper fillers on the car. My friend bought a cnc plasm, so I had him cut the bumper brackets for me. There are also some anti roll bar arms there, but they won't make it onto the car this weekend.

[​IMG]#ad