1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Looking to boost 98 Vortec 5700 L31 engine...

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Forcefed86, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Forcefed86

This is the older 350 based engine with 4 bolt main truck engine, NOT the newer LS based motor. Planning on a carb'd turbo setup.

Been cruising the net and I can't find anyone boosting these motors? What kind of power are the factory long blocks good for? (I.E pistons,rods, block, crank, etc) Will one of these engines take 500-600 hp with all OEM orig. factory parts? Looking for a 600hp max reliable engine setup.

2. hellbents10

600hp will not be a problem at all. We never had any issues at 450-500whp through an unlocked converter, and that was a 2 bolt l31 that was bone stock with boost.

3. JZ 97 SS 1500

Like TJ said...no problems with that level of power.

4. poboyracin

I agree with above. Just be careful with the tune. That's what makes or breaks a combo.

5. Forcefed86

Thanks all... Thank makes my life a little easier. :cheers:

6. LowBoostinT76

Just ditch the stock manifold/poppet valve scpi.

7. WR450SM

Like the others have mentioned, it's not the HP level that will tear up a motor.....it's detonation and / or excessive RPM that kills them. You'll have to play it safe with the AFR and timing, but you can still make respectable power with OEM parts. Actually the L31 is a great motor to start with, you've got a 4 bolt main, hyd roller cam and heads that flow better than most other gen 1 SBC.

8. thenotch88

i thought these motors had cast pistons? is this not correct? I've got a twin screw blower i was gonna put on my 99 but changed my mind cause of the pistons. Please let me know if im wrong. i can get to making some power with this thing.

9. Lil Big Mec

Yes, they have cast pistons. Also, I've seen more of these L31 Vortec 350s with blown bottom ends in stock form in street driven, normal usage trucks then I care to think about! I have no idea why, but they seem to spin rod bearings at the drop of a hat! I would be scared to boost one. Most also have the crappy powdered metal rods that I would also swap out for decent aftermarket or even old style factory rods.

10. LowBoostinT76

www.fullsizechevy.com maybe they can help you a bit over there as well.
    I haven't heard anything about bearings spinning on these engines. My 98 yukon has almost 140,000 miles on it and runs great!