1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

350 SHORT BLOCK WITH 1992 CAMARO 305 HEADS AND TBI INJECTION ..CAN IT BE?

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by caradura, Oct 25, 2007.

1. caradura

HI.....I HAVE AN SMOG SBC 350 FOUR MAIN BOLT.......WITH TURBO 350 TRANSMISSION BOTH NEED TO BE OVERHAULED......BUT I CAN GET MY HANDS ON A 1992 CAMARO WITH A 305 IN IT ...DUE TO THE FACT THAT ON A LATER STAGE I WANTED TO TURBOCHARGE THE 350....A FRIEND GIVE THE IDEA OF ASSEMBLING THE 350 BLOCK AND PUT THE HEADS AND TBI SYSTEM OF THE 305 ON IT.....AND MAYBE A BIGGER FUELPUMP IF WANT TO GO TURBO ON STOCK COMPUTER..(MILD BOOST..)

MY QUESTION IS: ARE THERE ANY SUGGESTIONS IS THIS A GOOD IDEA?....( MY BUDGET IS SMALL)...AND CAN I DO IT WITH THE AUTO TRANSMISSION? OR THE GEARBOX CAN FIT BEHIND THE 350 BLOCK?... ANY IDEAS / SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME....

2. RMerritts

wont the 305 stuff choke out the 350 hardcore?

3. caradura

Maybe not...I think because my 350 comes out of a 1977 caprice...( smog motor ,dished pistons,small heads with very small ports )...So, maybe this 305 has heads that flow much more than my 1977 350......I'm not sure but I think there's some truth there ...I'f i'm wrong tell me...and thanks for the reply

4. xpndbl3

tbi is not what you want to use for a turbocharger.

5. camaroe3

A TBI is a bad idea for a turbo build. Being that its all about How well you flow the air . pushing 15psi of air in to 2 Whole injectors in the in side of your intake is not a good idea. . You would be better off going carb.

6. BlownShovel

the stock 350 and 305 heads will put compression near 10:1 depedning on the years(that's what I had in my 95 truck before the LS1 swap). Also the 305 heads are the nasty swirls. Great for mileage but bad for performance.

And TBI is tougher. You could use a FPR from a ati or vortech but TBI is not the optimal choice but may work at very LOW boost.

not raining on your parade just trying to give some info. Depending on goals a low compression 350/head, an intake, carb and off to the races ;)

7. LT1-TA

TPI is what you need to be using.

Or a SBC converted LT1 intake with Meqgqsquirt running injectors and a normal Distributer ignition with mallory box pulling timing. Or go the extra step and have megsquirt run the timing also

Can do MS with the TPI also. Butt he LT1 is way cooler ;)