1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Compound w/twins selection

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by DatCompound, May 14, 2014.

1. DatCompound

Backgound: Let's just say I lucked out and what was going to be a single turbo w/blower compound is now going to be twins w/compound.

The general setup is a ford 4.6, 9.1:1 CR, cams, ported Eaton M112 blower, 6-spd manual. Fuel and drivetrain should be able to accomodate 1200hp.

Turbo selection is the question. I've got it narrowed between two Turbonetics models, a hurricane series 66/65 0.82 ar, or a T-series 66/68 0.96 ar. General priciple would point to the 68mm turbine as being a better choice for compound use, but anecdotal evidence with the Hellion Hellraiser kit seems like the 65 would be fine, and since this is more of a street car the 65mm / 0.82 ar might be better. Of course both are fairly large and may not be much of a factor unless I'm really pushing it.

2. 91turboterror

It's a cool idea but at a certain point that eaton will become a restriction for the turbos

3. DatCompound

I'm fully aware that it's a matter of trade-offs, but that's outside the scope of this discussion. I'm just trying to size the turbos accordingly for a compound setup.

4. Drac0nic

Could be very interesting, I would think I would want the larger turbines. It appears that the Hurricanes are based on a T3 turbine housing, while the T series is probably going to be based on a T4 turbine. Although the wheels can help with that differentiation if you wanted to size up later you'd be modifying parts to go to a T4 probably, and the clearances downsizing housings are going to be way easier in general than upsizing housings. Not only that but if you're running a blower setup with a lot of overlap it's quite possible you'd want more turbine to help that out too.

5. 302tt

Cool to be different. I would expect the blower just makes the engine 'look' bigger than it actually is. So if you are running 7 psi boost from the blower alone, you could approximate the engine to be 6.9L then select a turbo for that with a conventional matching program. Should get you in the ballpark. Good luck with your build.

6. DatCompound

There's two different 66/65 Hurricane turbos; I would be opting for the T4 housing 66/65.

Currently the cams don't have much overlap to speak of (114/114 +3).

I also think that my concerns over turbine size may be overblown. I'm going to run out of fuel long before the turbine becomes too restrictive (~1200hp capable fuel system), and if anything the larger 68mm turbine may be a detriment with the manual transmission. Maybe in the future if the blower falls off and an auto goes in, but I think for now I'll opt for the 66/65.

That was kind of where I was coming from, but there's still a lot of variables when you're talking compound. While mathematically it's a 7L engine, it may not quite behave like a normal 7L with a turbo, since the blower will probably change your exhaust velocity and volumetric efficiency, especially at lower RPMs.

I also see that you're local to me. Small town. :cheers: