1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need S480 Opinions, different housings or new turbo?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Turbohwagon, May 18, 2014.

1. Turbohwagon

So i have a 363 dart based SBF engine in my falcon, remote turbo kit with the turbo mounted behind the rear axle. I currently have an S480, cast wheel, standard compressor cover with a .90 a/r T4 exhaust housing, and an 83x74mm turbine wheel. It worked pretty good on my 302, but now I have a feeling it's going to be choking this new engine off a bit.

I know they make a T4 1.25 housing, and I know where i can get a Batmowheel S483 with the same 83x74mm turbine and the 1.25 T4 housing, but is it really worth getting and staying with a T4 turbine? (This option will probably cost $1000, direct bolt on to my setup)

I still have the 1.10 T6 exhaust housing that came on the turbo originally. What I want to know, would it be worth it to lop the T4 flange off of my kit, and switch it to the T6 with the same turbine, or find something with an 87x81mm or a 96x87mm turbine wheel. I know the bigger housing and turbine may produce more lag, but this thing already spools really fast and a little lag probably wouldn't hurt it.

What do you guys think?

2. Mnlx

Ever measure backpressure? I have heard a few say that a switch to a T6 made a noticeable difference over the t4, but have wondered the difference myself. I have run a t6 1.10 (albeit an 80mm turbine) on a stockish 5.0, and it spooled great as a front mount. An 87, 92, or even the 96mm would probably be a worthwhile upgrade, and I would go t6, unless you're set on keeping the t4.

3. Turbohwagon

I haven't measured back pressure yet, but i'm probably going to go buy a cheapy boost gauge at the auto parts store to check it with.