1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Big block version of the "GRENADE" dyno #s

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by trbo355, Aug 11, 2008.

1. trbo355

Big block version of the "GRENADE" dyno #s

My buddy Marshall screwed together a 66 Impala with a seriously used 396 BBC that was yanked from a 65 chevy farm truck he bought for 450 bucks and built his own twin turbo setup. All we know about the engine is that it supposedly had a top end job done 10k miles ago.
    It idles smooth as glass and sounds like it has 7.5 to 1 compression and is guaranteed to be one hell of a turd inside if we ever tear it down! LOL It may even be an un-rebuilt bottom end.
    Marshall built a twin setup based off the ssautochrome turbo kit and used a blowthru carb setup and the car has a Muncie 4 speed with a 3.73 geared 12 bolt. Heres the best part. We dynoed it at 21 lbs boost over the weekend and the little junker made 634 whp and 760 ft. lbs torque! Peak power came in at a lousy 4800 rpm too! So far none of us have destroyed any of those T3-T4 hybrid chineese turbos and the power they can make still amazes me for a $150 apiece turbo!
    Here is a pix of Marshalls engine and a stoplight pix a few seconds before racing the WRENCH RAT twin turbo Cobra and getting his ass whooped since he got a little jumpy on the clutch and went up in tire smoke. LOL :2thumbs: Oh yeah, Marshall is only 20 years old and im pretty dang impressed with his abilities as a young car guy :chacha:

0809081321.jpg #ad

0811080901.jpg #ad

0811080902.jpg #ad

0811080902a.jpg #ad

2. cycle252

Re: Big block version of the "GRENADE" dyno #s

That looks real nice.. and some good numbers too :chacha:

3. CrystalSS

Man that is badass..........you always have some cool stuff to post!!! My brother used to have a 65 impala. This 66 is a Sweet car and nice fab work never mind he is only 20.

4. AlexL

they make headers for BBC?

5. trbo355

Marshall is friends with some local guys called SMC customs that make their own mandrel bends and they made the headers. Admittedly the primary tubes are waay too big but they wanted it to look cool. :D

6. CyanJaguar

that is SICK. definitely gives one some SERIOUS food for thought.

are there Chinese version of 80-88 mm turbos you can link me to?

7. trbo355

My buddy Steve (wrench rat) is currently working on getting some big MM turbos from china and as of yet i dont think there are any turbos as big as 88mm yet that he can get. He is going to get set up with some GT 45 knockoffs but i think they are only 74 mm or something like that.
    The turbos on Marshalls car are the ones you find on EBAY for around 150-170 bucks with the 8.5 psi internal wastegate.

8. Boosted Thrills

it looks like a million bucks great job

9. twin74s

Wow those turbos are tiny :D Really makes me wonder what my BB combo made in my nova last year...Guess i shouldnt have took it apart. Good looking setup i bet that thing is fun...

10. CyanJaguar

can you post a link to those turbos? and how about some maps if there are some available.

also, does your friend run an intercooler?

11. trbo355

12. Bosanova

This is cool :2thumbs: I love those budget turd/grenade builds , just goes to show that you can get a long way with some stock "cast iron".
    I am also planning to push my inline "grenade" on the rollers to se if it can make 500rwhp. Keep up the good work!

13. CyanJaguar

so just do a search for "t3-t4 hybrid turbo" ? how about the intercooler is he running one? Im seriously thinking about duplicating this build.

did he go twins so he could use these turbos or were they easier use?
    [/quote]

14. trbo355

Oh yeah i forgot to answer the intercooler question! LOL Yes it has one. The whole kit is from ssautochrome and is listed as a 3rd gen F body kit with SBC headers. It comes with stainless SBC headers, intercooler and 2 turbos along with braided feed lines, blow off valve and other crap. The kit was 702 bucks shipped when he bought it. You only get one size intercooler with the kit so hopefully its what you want.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T...8&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&timeout=1218488390473

Here is the EBAY link to those cheap little A-hole turbos by themselves. They appear to be good for 450 HP apiece and nobody has blown one up yet around here. I know of 6 of them in use and so far so good. .63 A/R exh. side. It really helps to hog out the output flange so they flow better since they squash the exh. hole down kind of far.

15. trbo355

Here is the dyno sheet from saturday. I guess it made 628 HP and not whatever i said earlier but hey, i was hungover when we dynoed it! :ahah:

0812080907.jpg #ad

16. dwrlhc

looks good. very cool. especially for us cheap guys attempting to make power on stock bottom ends. -bet that gets the juices goin on your 500 build 'eh?!

17. Boosted Thrills

any of those happen to be a LSx. say a stock 6.0L

18. trbo355

Hell yea it does! After seeing what 396 cubes does i cant wait! :chacha:
    Nope. All small block chev stuff. The turbos have a .63 exh. housing and appear to have over 500 HP worth of compressor wheel but the compressor side scroll is fairly small and dynoing seems to point towards 450 HP each as being more realistic. They package nice with the internal gate but it does make them a little ugly looking.
    I would think they should be right at home on a 6.0 litre engine since we have had them on 355 to 396 cubic inches and they match up real well.
    I have taken one apart and while they dont look exactly high budget, we havent lost a single one yet at 21 lbs for several summers now. Go figure. :huh:

19. CyanJaguar

I think Im gonna rebuild my 327 with one of these kits in mind.

20. brngrhd

man I'm thinking about a pair for my 461. that is just awesome