1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

318 A Poly Twins

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by popsthe, Aug 14, 2022.

1. popsthe

Been a while since I've posted, but I know this place is the best place for sound advice pertaining to turbocharging.

I've purchased a 64 Dodge 440 sedan in what I consider good condition. I have the original 318 poly also. I've been doing some research and realized the poly has a forged crank and is quite a torquey motor for it's size. I've purchased this car with hopes of putting some money into it and selling it for a nominal profit. May not make anything, but that's okay. I'll keep it if not. I've found a dual quad intake for the motor. I am now considering dual sniper EFI on this motor. I know fuel delivery will be a significant expense. I'm looking for good street manners and enough torque to put a smile on anyone's face. The sniper set up is over $2k. Custom forged dished pistons will likely be costly as well. So what direction should I go? Should I strive to use the stock forged crank, or go full tilt and order a stroker kit? Longevity is a concern. This isn't for the track, and I don't have money to rebuild the motor every year. What can I do to make sure this thing performs and lives? Methanol injection is not out of the equation.

Thanks for reading and for any insight.

2. MrBelvedere

For what you are looking at spending doing that kind of work I wouldn't mess with the poly. Cool old engine but no real support for it.

popsthe likes this.
  3. B E N

Seems like you have two different goals for the car... If you want to fix and flip it just stick a decent carb on it, make it run well, fix major driving issues and send it down the line.

If you are going to keep it and want to make power ditch the poly, if you really want a driver and EFI the gen 3 hemi's are great engines, you get an overdrive transmission to match. They are cheap performers and take modest boost well. It will drive around way better than any sniper EFI motor, and I think you will be cash/performance ahead.

popsthe and MrBelvedere like this.