1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

302 broken block!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by jt351, May 20, 2010.

1. jt351

My buddy just broke his "level 20" block N/A at 380rwhp I was in the car. Well we at a roadcoarse, the autobahn in joliet Il Wasn't doing anything stupid only shifted at 6k all of a sudden it shook and quit, luckily the intake squirted water on the dizzy and quit running, I put a new cap on and re-tightened the intake and there was absolutely no oil pressure but ran fine.
    When I tried to prime it with a drill all I heard was oil squirting We yanked the intake and sure as shit, it cracked the block all the way down from the dizzy hole back, Now I am going to sell him one of my mexican blocks to put his 331 D.S.S rotating assembly into, Oh and his block was D.S.S's level 20 stronger blocks, what a joke. This engine was just dynoed and tuned to be safe. 750 carb, dizzy locked at 34* no detonation. I'd take pictures but most of you have seen broken blocks before

2. RI85GT

WTF is a "Level 20" ??

A stock block is a stock block. No fancy name will ever change that.

3. TT_05_Stang

How did that girdle work :)

4. revn351

The level 20 blocks are stock either way, just really machining. Carefull with that mexican cuz itll break also best get a aftermarket block.

5. jt351

Aftermarket block is a little out of his budget, plus I have a block to sell him. This is just a fun car, not professionally race, Like I said It was just N/A 380hp, I told him not to waste the money in the block, He bought the engine short block from DSS a few years back, maybe 5 weekends of racing total. its never been boosted. I will find out this weekend how the bottom carnage is.

6. MONTEGOD7SS

I always found it funny how Ford can design a WHOLE BLOCK that is weaker than the main caps. At least with a girdle and intake bolted to it you can get it out in one piece, lol.

7. 10secgoal

That kinda of life is VERY hard on parts.

8. BOSs5.0

This is true and comical :cheers:

9. jt351

I know that is why it i so fun. drag racing i fun for 10-12 seconds but road racing is 15 minutes at a time of full throttle and a true test of tires, brakes, suspension, oh and of course cooling system. anyone can keep a car cool for 10 seconds. What I don't get it was just 5 weekends of racing and barely going above 6k would break a block, So at what point will I break my boosted 351?

10. 10secgoal

Your boosted engine at 500 rwhp I would honestly say has an easier life than that thing did.

I think that's true about the road racing, and why I never want to try it. Costs even more I think, and I don't need another god damned habit.

11. bgjohnson

That and it tears these unibody cars apart like pissed on toilet paper.

12. Kerrdogg

Amen to that, I won't even drive one of the go carts at PBIR, the guys I know that do get hooked bad, maybe the helmet hoodies are laced with crack?