1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

3.5L ecoboost Flex

Discussion in 'Ecoboost, Ecotec, Direct Injection and Other OEM Technologies' started by 70GTO, Dec 28, 2015.

1. 70GTO

I grabbed a very nice used 2012 Flex last November. Bought the car on-line out of Texas. They shipped it to my home in AZ. In Immaculate condition with low miles (<34K). I have the 2013+ optional HD brake setup and new wheels and tires done. Since its all wheel drive I stayed with the 255/45x20 factory tire size. Also put a set of Megan adjustable struts and coil overs on it (adjust for both comp/rebound and ride height). With wheels that have 10mm more offset I will set the suspension down maybe an inch and a half. Have to experiment with that.

Currently putting together a new exhaust system (quiet as possible) before I get into the engine. Upgrading to 3" down pipes (from 2.25") with hi flow cats. will run 3" into the 3rd cat (Vibrant 4") and a pair of 2.5" pipes from there with Solo long resonators and Quantum mufflers in the stock location. This should significantly increase airflow with minimal noise and no cabin drone. I expect to have the exhaust system all worked out by the end of January.

Engine will be next. Will start with the ATP turbo upgrade and supplemental fuel system. Also a water/meth setup with large reservoir. The supplemental fuel system kicks on at ~10# boost and the water/meth at ~12# boost. And better cold side piping to take the additional boost and a 170 thermostat.

A local Flex has made just over 600hp at the tires (~27# boost). I intend to limit boost to ~18#, so maybe around 490hp/500tq. Not looking for much more from a daily driver.

If I want crazy fast, Ill get out the GTO.

2. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Any progress/updates since December?

3. simenad

Trust someone on their 3rd engine. Pistons lands cant handle much more. I was tuned with afe 3.5 crossover and 4 inch exhaust. It is cracy loud when you put your foot in it. Both engines blew when i wasnt even pushing it. Both times when i tore them down, the ring lands let go. Get an engine piston and rod kit before you add much boost.

4. T-rex

Or maybe open the rings up?

5. myturbocobra

How was air fuel looking when it happened and who tuned it?

6. simenad

fine, no detonation or lean conditions