1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2V Turbo Cam Comparison

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by blown99, Jan 24, 2010.

1. blown99

I've been looking at cams for my turbo pi 2V for a while and could use some real world feedback on the following two. The car is auto, non lock up, built shortblock 9.6CR, stock bore, with valve reliefs, stock heads, intake, and plenum. gt40 82 turbo. It must pass an obdII emissions test. I tune it with a tweecer. I would like to make around 6 a the wheels and a mid-high 10 et. (eventually) I am looking at the mmr turbo cams and the mph cams. I spoke to Tim from mph on the phone a few times. He claims 6 at the wheels with a stock head and stock intake car (manual trans) with his cams. Is this sales hype, can anyone back his statements up? He also states they are easy to tune and will pass my emissions test which is a plus. The second is the mmr cams. I have heard their cam on you tube, (stage two I think), they do sound bad ass, but can they pass the emissions test? What are some real world power gains with their stage I and II cams? How hard are they to tune, (they sound pretty aggressive on you tube) Will they work with the stock valves? I haven't had a chance to call mmr on the cams yet.

2. bags50lx

I tried the comp cams on a twin car and it was nice. Then we tried tims cams and they made no more power than the comp cams. IF I remember correct they were the basically the same specs as the comps. Never tried the mmr 2v cams. Had tried thier 4v cams and it beat the valvetrain up to much.

3. 99TTGT

MMR hands down {they areComp Cams}
    I have seen 100rwhp gain when swaping to ported PI heads & cams on a high boost application...

4. 96Tangg

my 2valve made over 600RWHP on 93 octane. .020 overbore iron block Cobra Crank, H beams, Manley Pistons( thicker materials around the pin area for boost applications) i think JE does the same thing. stage 3 Patriot heads Comp cams custom grind, non-ported Bullet intake and Throttle Body, Manual trans, 60 lbs inj, blow thru PMAS, Stock computer and chip. your goal is not that hard to achieve, 99TTGT and others on here have good advice.

The MMR cams are higher lift than mu Comp cams, but mine have more LCA.

5. blown99

How do the mmr stage I and II compare to each other? I am going to assume that the stage III is a full race cam?? If I can achieve the 600 (or close to it) with just a cam (using MPH) vs MMR needing heads and a cam then I can throw the saved money at the suspension so that I can actually get a good et with the power that I will have. I like the mmr stuff. I have there rotating assembly and a few other things and they have been great to deal with, but the #'s advertised by mph look tempting.

6. 99TTGT

I use the stage II , they had a nice chop to it...
    The MPH cams are one step under the MMR's

7. 96Tangg

When I talked to MMR my combo and I have a single T76 with 15-20 lbs boost they recommended the Stage 2. You will have to check piston to valve clearance and buy the matching spring set as well.

8. blackonblacksls

MMR cams, dont have any more lift than your normal off the shelf 2v cam, and without giving out thier specs, they seem to have designed them similar to what most others consider blower cams...

If i was doing a smaller turbo 2v, with stock or stockish heads and intake, i would use the Vt engines or currently cushman motorsports stage 2s..

I have seen a local 2v car trap 140+ with these, ported PI heads, bullitt intake, and a t76...

9. 96Tangg

my comp cam custom grind is less than 500 lift MMR is 550. That is the difference I am refering to. Comp ground mine to the engine spec and turbo desired HP range and expected boost level. I am pleased with the initial results.

10. Stzang

What boost were you seeing for that 600rwhp? thats a similar setup to what I'm going to run.

11. blackonblacksls

Lift under .500 is ussually set aside for npi cars.. probly based it off the year of the car..

12. 96Tangg

It should have been because i told the PI windsor heads etc....but it could have been a data entery error. either way it still put out good power now that my head is almost finished I will see what the final numbers will be.

13. y2k2gt

my car made 656rw through a C4 with 20psi and custom cams. it made 572rw with the stock cams. The car ran 10.60's 130+ making 540rw with stock cams.

14. 96Tangg

Y2K2gt, what fuel? now that i am correcting my fu@& up in the motor I am hoping to get over 640RWHP.

thanks

15. y2k2gt

94 and straight meth

16. 96Tangg

OK your straight meth will definitely help you out. SO I think my goal of 640 is about it on 93 octane.....

17. blown99

What is the most power you guys have made with stock heads, stock cams, stock intakes; basically a built shortblock and good valve springs and a turbo?

y2k2gt- what heads were you using with the 540rwhp? Weight of the car?

18. y2k2gt

Ported PI heads with regular nextek springs shimmed .030 and race weight around 3700lbs 18psi with twin 60mm turbos.
    I have these same heads setting in my garage bare. They need a repair around one spark plug hole. They were ported by Steen Racing.
    I had patriot II heads at first and made 600rw/676tq at 18psi with the stock 3650, intake, cams and twin 46mm turbos.

19. candyroush

I have comp 270 and p-51 intake but stock heads and I put down 605/613 @15lbs on 93 oct. (twin 57s)

I want turbo cams!!

20. 99TTGT

stock head,cams & intake 530 RWHP with a D1sc

patriot heads,compcams 270's,bullit intake 702RWHP with a F1c
    [​IMG]#ad