1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

New type of EFI fuel system.. kinda!

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by TTAWD, Aug 25, 2009.

1. TTAWD

Been helping a buddy with a turbo GSXR 1000 motor on a 4 wheeler.
    The turbo setup is a kit for the GSXR bike.

I was looking over the fuel system parts with the kit and looking at the stock
    fuel rail and could not find a return port or a regulator just feed inlet fitting.

At first I thought it may have a return-less style fuel system but it does use a regulator.

The regulator is in the tank with the pump.

So the fuel fills the fuel rail and stands there waiting for an injector to open
    unlike an automotive return system where the fuel is making laps through
    the entire system.

Other than running vacuum to the regulator what would be wrong with putting
    the regulator in the rear with the pump and not having all that mess under the hood?

2. TTFBDY

GM's been doing it for several years with the LS cars.
    The efi computer has to be able to compensate for the lack of map reference to the fpr unless you run a line all the way back there. Not sure how it's handle on the LS cars with boost.

3. TTAWD

Thanks for replying with that info, I didn't know that.

4. livefast1

i believe dodge has been using a rear mount regulator for quite some time too, kinda stupid they don't have fuel filters though.

5. classicfirebird

i have mine set up like that. a1000 directly to a regulator. it was easier to run a vacuum line to the rear than a return line. it is running strong like this for two years. i also heard that it keeps fuel in the tank cooler by not cycling through the engine bay.

6. furchaser

Just thinking about this and you would think there would be a delay in fuel pressure rising to meet hat pressure . Not much I suppose but it would still happen .Kinda like plugging in you're air hose on a full compressor , it take a few seconds to fill a 25 foot hose. :huh:

7. classicfirebird

i thought about that also. i tested it with a gauge on the fuel rail and there isn't a noticeable delay.

8. Disney Lincoln

At the same time you're going to have some time before the carb drinks enough out of the bowls to make much of a difference. So long as the FP does rise and can keep up with demand, it should work. Where I could see that not working would be in an EFI set up that might not have a whole lot of headroom left in it's current pump/fuel system.