1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

21' Eliminator Daytona V drive TT 540 Arias EFI

Discussion in 'Turbocharged Boat and Watercraft Forum' started by Mark55, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Mark55

2. GAWnCA

That was just too much! I would have thought those twin turbos would have screamed louder. :D Thanks for sharing.

3. SNYPER

There you are Mark!!!! I didnt know how to get ahold of you since hot boat took a shit, good to see you here!! I was boogeyman over on hot boat.

Travis

4. GAWnCA

Hey Sniper,

Was this your motor on Hotboat?

Greg

5. SNYPER

Greg,

I wish......My pockets are not that deep!! I think that was sofa king smooth's engine but im not sure. I believe its a 580 inch engine and made something like 1500+ on 14lbs. I would love to have those jacketed headers though :eek: but I believe they are around 5k for just the headers. I am doing a 540 with a pair of Borg Warner s475's for my jet right now.

Later,

Travis

6. GAWnCA

Hi Travis,

You're right it was Sofaking. That is one hellofa motor he had built.

Put up some photos of your work and I'll do the same once I get the parts together and get going on it. I'm doing a twin 350 for a jet boat. I'm looking for something in the 16' or 17' range so I can build a small hot rodder thing.

Greg

7. MUSTANG B

Awesome build and Boat man, Nice!

8. Big_Ed

116MPH on the water that fast?????

:stupid: :bow:

9. furchaser

I had a canadian built cougar 18' tunnel that did 91 mph and I'm telling you that was faster than I ever want to go on water again................period

10. Mark55

That 19' Cougar is a real desirable boat IMO.
    Here's a video of a run in one,

That guy ran over 130 with it.
    It spit him out once last summer doing a holeshot and he got banged up a little.

11. turbojunkie50

Mark,what kind of changes you making to your v-drive this winter?

12. GAWnCA

I'm wondering what the cost differences are between a jet drive and a "V" drive set up? Anyone give me any ideas? Thanks, Greg

13. Mark55

Hi Mike,
    Changes......I don't know where to start. :D
    Adding two more cav plates and a down pedal to try to keep the bow down under hard accel.
    I cut the 10" diameter stainless gas tanks down 25" shorter to 34" long from the Queen Mary size they were.
    Adding a shaft release so the prop shaft will freewheel on decel.
    Added two bulkheads in the sponsons.
    Added a centerpod bulkhead.
    Removed the skeg and glassed up the hole. Not required on a tunnel hull.
    Upsizing to 1 1/8 " propshaft from 1" which requires a new strut, whip strut, prop, and coupling.
    Total rewiring job.
    Moved the battery forward as far as it would go. Up under the dash now.

This boat has been more fun and more scary than any previous boat.
    The accelleration is just over the top. I don't think I looked at the tach at WOT all year, just white knuckles on the steering wheel.
    I took lots of local fast boaters for rides and now no one will race me.

14. Mark55

There are positives and negatives about both drives. I've had jet boats for many years and am now on my first V drive.
    The jet drive takes more HP to drive it, has great accelleration, travels in shallow water, is usually reliable and simple to work on drive.

The V drive has a lot more moving parts, gearbox takes up room in the cockpit, Usually has more top end speed than a jet.
    Some vibration and noise. More efficient propulsion.

The jet is a straight line thrust as opposed to the vdrive where you can really feel the prop torque in the hull.

Most V drives are in flatbottom boats which are typically a real rough ride.

I would say that a vdrive is going to cost more to setup and maintain because of more moving parts.

15. GAWnCA

Thanks Mark, I guess that SBC twin turbo will get the small jet boat treatment, then. I've owned and raced hydros I know they are not for fun and pleasure and they do have their down sides.... Like kiting over on you. :) I figure the DBC TT in a 16' hull will get up and go pretty good. I can always put a different impeller in the pump to get more spin.

16. turbojunkie50

Mark,
    If you don't mind,post a picture of the cav plates when you get a chance.
    I recently seen where a guy put an hydraulic motor on his cav plates
    and had up and down buttons on his steering wheel so their was no need
    for the pedal.
    I like how you used fun and scary in the same sentence. :D

Also,do you use a thermostat or not,i haven't been running one
    but my machinist wants me start using one.

17. Chacata

Those are some funny looking turbos. What are all those plugs on the exhaust housings??

18. Mark55

When I get a little farther on the cav plates and down pedal I'll put up some pics.
    I don't know much about the cav plate controls and no one on the v drive sites has been much help either. There are so many different ways to do it. Tunnel hull v-drives are so rare that the flatbottom guys don't know what to think about them or how to set them up.

Fun and scary usually go together......You know that......Weren't you a little scared on that first turbo'ed jet boat blast I took you on ? :D "That shore's coming up fast" .........LOL It's always a little more scary when someone else is driving. :eek:
    Now look what that lead to. Your wife probably thinks I'm a bad influence by now.

I never ran a thermostat. I try to size the lines to get the flow I need but not too much. I watch a block water pressure gauge a lot.
    Jet pumps put out a lot of pressure.

I'd sure like to make a road trip to Texas some day and have you drive this boat. It's a real eye opener.

19. Mark55

Boats with enclosed engine compartments run water jacketed headers and turbine housings.
    I have always run dry pipes to get as much heat as possible to the turbine wheel.
    I've got to believe that there's a significant loss by removing all that heat.

This is a good question for an expert like Don Bailey..........
    How much flow or performance is lost by water cooling the exhaust headers and the turbine housing ?

20. turbojunkie50

Mark,remember Eddie Hill with the NHRA top fuel rail?
    He has been posting on TexasHot Boats lately.
    He use to race v-drives before he started drag racing.
    Also he had a Sleekcraft dealership for many years.He has been posting
    some upgrades he is making.I posted you a couple of links to check out.
    The first one talks about the button for the cav plate and the 2nd one
    has some of the latest upgrades.Interesting stuff even for a jet boat guy.
    He has been over 200 mph in an open cockpit,one of those times he crashed,so he
    then decided he was goona go 300 in a dragster instead.I think i found someone crazier than me.
    He also is hosting a show and shine in north texas in May.Gonna be boats from
    everywhere.Come on down and will hit the lake afterwords.It's May 17th.

Ya,when you took me for a ride
    you scared the s$$t out of me,i didn't have a clue what was gonna happen.
    That second pass i had a death grip on that grab bar.

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=5161.msg55277#msg55277

http://www.texashotboats.com/forums/index.php?topic=4749.0