1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2019 coyote using large amounts of oil.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Mnlx, Sep 10, 2020.

1. Mnlx

We have a 2019 f150 5.0, and it has 10k on the odometer. Its been loosing 4 qts of engine oil to 5k miles, no visible leaks. Anyone else have issues like this?

2. B E N

Oof, that sounds like a warranty claim, I know the Ecoboosts have consumption issues but I hadn't heard much on the 5.0 front, stock truck? Mileage?

3. tbird

possible pcv failure. Pull the plugs and see if any one cylinder is oiled up.

Otherwise i would bring it in for warranty.

4. Mnlx

Stock truck, city government truck. Has 10k on it now. My concern was being a city truck it doesn't get a ton of highway miles. Curious about break in, but our GM, and Rams have been fine. This is our first Ford in years. My next step is warranty, but oil consumption warranty is a huge PITA .

5. Mnlx

Found a TSB on it. High engine vacuum during fuel cut decel is pulling oil from everywhere. Their fix is a reflash, and a different dipstick...lol.

B E N likes this.
  6. 91turboterror

I heard about that issue. I work at a Chevy dealer and the Ford dealer down the street is replacing engines when that tsb doesn’t work

7. B E N

Makes sense to retune, they just increase the fuel cut delay which leaves combustion events in place and gets rid of the excess vacuum state. With DI they are able to control fueling so precisely the tunes become very sensitive. Probably slightly hurts fuel economy but saves engines.

8. Mnlx

They change out the dip stick to one that is 2 qts from add to full, so it's obviously a band aid.

9. Mnlx

The other sad thing about this is that there is no low oil level sensor.

Russell likes this.
  10. 91turboterror

How bad is that no low oil sensor. My 1991 Mustang has one but a 2019 f150 doesn’t lol They probably didn’t think it would be drinking oil like it was going out of style.

11. B E N

Do you think this is a real killer with a 10 quart pan?

I'm not trying to defend Ford, just understand their resolution.

12. Mnlx

I understand it, but if their fix actually remedied the oil consumption issue there would be no need for it.

13. Mnlx

I get cranky when something that costs 40-50k has obvious issues, and they fix it just enough...

14. Russell

I agree. A remarked dipstick is a BS fix. I think a low oil light should be required on all cars. It's no telling how many cars (all makes and models) are on the road running around 3 quarts low.

15. Papa Funk

You most likely have 2 pistons with rings installed wrong, is a posibility with such low miles on the motor. You should see the marked color on the spark plugs after a slow warm up. They should be discolored with carbon. A compression test won't most likely catch the bad oil rings installed. A PCV valve could also be a culprit but it should have operationl problems as well when the PCV is so bad. Blue smoke follows you everywhere ! Using that much oil without a leak always points to piston rings being junk, wrongly installed or engine damage. Engine damage can be from several things, a leak at the intake manifold, poor head gaskets, etc. But you got a severe headache there. I gonna go with broken oil rings, backward installed, wrong parts something like that. You should smell it early in the morning on a quiet place with truck warming up. I should smell oil rich exhaust. Ask a friend to follow you to a quiet place with it good an w armed up and punch it, he will likely notice what you can't ! When you pull that kind of oil down bad valve guides it isn't long and the motor runs rough, also you get the Blue haze smell .

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  16. Mnlx

Just to update this, the reflash helped dramatically. It's using about 2 qts to a 5000 mile, all city, stop, and go oil change. Definitely not great, but workable. Our purchasing manager, has since made the switch back to GM after only a couple of new Fords.

17. Mnlx

We do have a new 7.3 too, so waiting to see how that runs out.

Russell, B E N and Briansshop like this.
  18. Papa Funk

Haven't had to add a drop of oil to the 2.7L in over 100,000 miles except full synthetic 5w30 oil changes and filter. Is an awesome driver !
    Think the thing is Ford decides to run 5w20 oil in its V-8 for best gas mileage. Once it is broke in 5000 miles go with 5w30 pure synthetic. I got sick and tired of listening to the rattle on cold start ups with 5w20 from my motors using it & changed to 5w30, and rattles disappeared.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  19. 65ShelbyClone

5w-20 and 5w-30 have the same cold viscosity though.

FTFY

20. Papa Funk

Just put 5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic one in the motor at oil Change