1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2010 Mustang big block twins

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by az92coupe, Apr 3, 2018.

1. az92coupe

This is a car that belongs to my friend - we've been working on it for about 10 months now. He really liked how simple and quick my white coupe was and wanted to build something similar. After digging around through tons of older cars, he decided to do a newer car to avoid all of the chassis and body issues we were finding on older projects around here. He bought my old big block off me and found a relatively clean 2010 Mustang. He started by yanking the old drivetrain and throwing in a AJ k-member and arms - then we set the big block and mock-up TH400 in the car.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

No major fitment issues with the new motor/trans. It looks like we might have to massage the tunnel a tiny bit on the passenger side(little tight), but won't really know until the real trans shows up.

2. az92coupe

It looked like our best option was to low mount the turbos as he wanted to keep accessories. We settled on a spot down low and forward under the frame rails and built some brackets.

[​IMG]#ad

Then we started on the headers.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

3. az92coupe

Passenger side.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Both shorties tacked up.

[​IMG]#ad

4. az92coupe

Running from the collector to the turbo flange.

[​IMG]#ad

Made for some super short exhaust.

[​IMG]#ad

5. az92coupe

Building the wastegate tubes and stuff...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

6. az92coupe

Started on the cold side. Yes, blow through Dominator from Kevin @ CSU

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

7. az92coupe

The car is going to the chassis shop after it's running and driving .. so after wrestling with the factory saddle tanks in this thing, we ripped them out and cut up the spare tire area and dropped in a 20 gallon cell. No idea if this fuel cell will be used at the end of the build or not, but those saddle tanks are ... interesting. It fit pretty well after a little sawzall work. There has been talk of spray-foaming it into place for the test drive .. :banana:

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

8. az92coupe

And that gets us just about caught up. The motor fired right off - zero issues. We sorted out the timing (crank trigger - locked at 36 degrees right now, pulling timing for startup and boost via the MAP - MSD 7531) and tinkered with the fuel bowls a tiny bit. Transmission and converter have been ordered (Reid TH400 and converter from Pete @ Hughes) and radiator is on its way. Need to make a radiator cross-bar and mount.. and get some cooling on this thing.. then we can play with the 4 corner idle adjustment and tinker with the widebands. Shouldn't be much longer till those factory tires and open diff are punished...

9. 70BossRanchero

That's looking pretty cool, more room in that mustang then there is in my Ranchero. Are those wastegate diaphragms going to be OK that close to the exhaust pipes? Routing my wastegates is my next step once I finish connecting my headers to my dual V inlet flanges.

Are you going to run a wideband gauge on this? I didn't realize that pulling out the mod motor was going to leave so much room.

10. az92coupe

I don't anticipate any problems from the gate diaphragms. We have a wideband in each exhaust dump and an Innovate DLG-1 dual gauge.

11. Forcefed86

Looks good! Any pics of the scavenge/drain setup?

12. az92coupe

That's one of the things I missed snapping pics of for some reason - I'll get some this weekend. We're using these super low profile drain blocks.

[​IMG]#ad

With a little aluminum box to merge the drains into.

[​IMG]#ad

And a Turbowerx Exa-Pump sucking from that little box back into the fuel-pump block-off plate. All drains are -10AN.

13. cl08

COOL!

14. ss496

Another thing to consider is to ditch the electric scavenge pump and use a mechanical fuel pump....you can drill the mechanical pump to dump the oil back in from the pressure side.......also simply use a little oil reservoir so the oil has a bit of time to cool before it hits the mechanical pump diaphragm.

cool build so far

15. tbird

damn that looks sweet!

Where did you get the drain blocks for the turbo drains?

16. az92coupe

17. BlownShovel

WOW - i wasn't expecting to see a BBC in there. Looking really good. nice fab and well thought out by the looks of it.

18. 01BlueCrew5.4

Awesome build!

19. scald50

What an awesome build!!! Loved the pictures! What a nice clean job you guys did!

20. Billy L

Hell yeah BBC and a carb!!