1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

2008 6.4 Diesel Trouble

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by prowler861, Apr 22, 2015.

1. prowler861

Anyone had any problem with there 6.4 diesel engine. Had to put mine in the shop for rocker arms now the problem may be a lifter not a rocker got to wait to tear into it. Truck has less than 95,000 miles on it never had any problems with my 2002 7.3 with over 100,000. This may be the last ford truck I will buy too expensive for me.

2. Mnlx

The 7.3 was a very durable, and reliable, but the 6.4 was a continuation of problems that the 6.0 started. Lifters failing isn't unheard of, but usually not at sub 100k.

3. Turbo-Box

-Admin note: cleaned up the thread hijack for you -

Comparing a 6.4 to a 7.3 is comparing apples to oranges. Aside from both being Navistar built engines they have NOTHING in common.

4. 95MustangGT331

6.4 was the biggest pos international ever built

5. Mnlx

Bold statement after the 6.0 debacle.... lol

6. 95MustangGT331

You can bullet proof a 6.0... you can throw a 6.4 in the trash.
    I own an early 6.0, better of the bunch.

7. Mnlx

I bought an 06 6.0 that had been bulletproofed just before I bought it..... 140 miles later it needed a #1 injector to replace the reman that was there. After I replaced that, drove it for another easy 750 miles and the degas bottle was on the verge of venting even trying to keep manifold pressure to less than 10 psi. Rather than do hg's I traded it on a Cummins. They're actually not bad to work on, but you never know where, or when you'll be stranded. First vehicle I actually put roadside assistance on.. lol

8. 95MustangGT331

If the deck is warped, its got to be fixed. Honestly the 6.0 still has problems. Injectors will die. Vgt will wear out eventually, head bolts suck. Newer trucks have too many high psi oil places to leak. Hpop will die. Oil cooler will plug up. You can fix the egr trash.
    I got a steal so i bought it.
    7.3s get leaks and high miles will end up needing up pipes and such. 4r100<torque shit.
    6.4s eat pistons... thats inexcusable

9. Mnlx

I bought mine fairly cheap as well, loved the truck, and thought as long as I could repair it myself it would be a good truck. After realizing it would most likely need heads, and that the studs just buy you more time between hg replacements, I valued my time (both repairing, and towing it home) more than the truck. Some have great luck with them, but I did not. The Cummins I bought also needed some work.... just did injectors, and now going thru the trans for some updates, and adding a decent converter, but should easily go another 1-200k without much for issues. They all have their problems.

10. 95MustangGT331

Diesels are expensive. I did a stud job for a customer and had the heads decked. Not much room for error. Hg was fine after that

11. Mnlx

Yes they are. Did you pull the cab? I was getting ready to throw it on the hoist on a Friday after work, and do hg's over a weekend, but then started doing the math. I have a buddy that runs a local shop that specializes in the 6.0, and it sounds like more often than not they are cracked into a valve seat as well... so expected the worst. He has two full time techs that only work on the 6.0's, and they always seem to be busy.

12. 95MustangGT331

Carport head pull. Cabs are easy. I worked for ford. Sure 6.0 had problems but good lord the 6.4 is trash. When some one said i have a problem and i hear 6.4 or 5.4 3v i told them i was sorry to hear that lmao

13. Mnlx

I guess I haven't heard much about the 6.4 problems, but I only search after I buy a POS... lol. I've only worked on one 5.4 3v, and was lucky enough to get the plugs changed without issue, don't want to try another.

14. TT BRENDAN

If you buy a diesel expect expensive repairs. It doesn't matter what brand. It's either hpop, injectors, egr, glow plugs, transmission, front end, and don't forget head gaskets.

15. Mnlx

This is true, but some are way worse than others.... From what I have owned personally, the 6.0 was a money pit compared to the others. I have owned two 3rd gen Cummins, both tuned, but driven decent, and have only had to do one set of injectors, and a small amount of front end work between them with 320k on them combined. I had a 2000 powerstroke, and again tuned, and did nothing other than maintain it for 120k. I also maintained a small fleet of Duramax's, and other than a few injector issues, and a torque converter issue or two they were basically trouble free with a couple of them pushing 300k. We had 3 6.0's, and didn't even bother to fix them ourselves, bought the extended warranty and let Ford repair them... lol. I will say these were all pre 07 trucks, and the new diesels are a totally different story. We no longer keep a truck beyond its warranty period, and I personally wouldn't own a new diesel.

16. 95MustangGT331

6.7 has been a decent engine but its got its flaws too. Cheaper to fix thus far than the rest. Radiator and water pumps... i dont know why ford has had so many issues with cooling systems

17. Mnlx

I have been hearing about some early turbo issues, some dropped valves/seats, and it seems as Ford put a fairly light duty connecting rod in them, but other than that it appears to be a decent engine.

18. 95MustangGT331

Job 1 had exhaust valve issues, but none since i heard of. Hell even the coyote had sleeve issues.
    If its made after 2004 i dont want it lmao dont make em like they use to

19. blown99

I own 7.3, 6.0 and 6.4 I will take the 6.4 any day of the week. And I own a powerstroke shop. They (6.4) don't eat pistons (some guys that crank up the tuners will crack them but when you are doubling the power of a stock motor...something has to give at some point) They wipe the block out on a couple cylinders due to the regen process. Get these at lower mileage (50K) delete them and they last a good long time. 6.0's guys have bought cheap non oem parts over the years and have loaded them up with crap parts. O-ring the heads, stud them, new oem parts and delete and they are good to go. Can't knock the 7.3l. BTW, the lifters in the 6.4 and 6.0 are the same part number lifter that was in a 7.3l

20. 95MustangGT331

Oem injector tips melt/ break and it keeps shooting fuel till the piston is gone. Maybe they were tuned. We didnt have a way to tell usually. The flower pattern was some times a give away.